08, hard to kick

08 model here in NZ, just had shims done, and now very hard to kick. I have had the lid off, and the decomp is opening the valves.

Another thing I've noticed is that it wont start on battery, and wont jump start either, just a quiet click when the button is pushed.

The swing on the kick start is like an 06 I had with a high compression piston, and the auto decomp out of adjustment.

I realize the 08 doesn't have adjustments like the 06 so wondering what experience some of the TT Tribe may have similar..

maybe I am just too old at 47 to kick this beast?..

yes it starts ok, but the force on the lever seems excessive to me, like it may break or wear out... I know it's just a back up for the starter and they dont really like the kicker...

My starter doesn't do well to wake up the bike when it's cold (below 50F). I use kicker and it's fairly stiff. Usually within two kicks gets it lit. Re-starts (hot) well with button but not initial cold crank. New starter, battery, and cables. Bike has stroked crank and big bore piston which adds more compression to overcome for the starter. 

Edited by shrubitup

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah .. I try to avoid using the kicker , only as a last resort . I have seen where the case cracks in the lower corner .

Considering you have ' upped ' the compression , take care when you kick that beast .

Last Saturday I literally kicked it for 30 minutes constantly. No fire. 22F this time. No kicking worked. I'm a big mofo at 6'2" and 250 lbs with big ass size 13 boots so that weren't the problem. Guy comes over and says lemme try. Bike lights off first kick. Secret was to press the e-start button while also kicking. That's the new technique on this bike. Holy hell it worked! Towards the end of the ride the re-start didn't go well and I used this technique again with success. ?

Have you set up the carb to suit the motor upgrades , also a free flowing exhaust really helps .

I tried just the BIg Bore for a while , I noticed they don't like to start with a corked up pipe , I imagine with the stroker added it would need cams with more lift and duration to deal with the greater compression ratio .

Correct jetting amd fuel screw tuning would only make it easier to start , the R&D flex jet is worth it's weight in gold . IMO .

Have you set up the carb to suit the motor upgrades , also a free flowing exhaust really helps .

I tried just the BIg Bore for a while , I noticed they don't like to start with a corked up pipe , I imagine with the stroker added it would need cams with more lift and duration to deal with the greater compression ratio .

Correct jetting amd fuel screw tuning would only make it easier to start , the R&D flex jet is worth it's weight in gold . IMO .

I just ordered some different pilot jets. I'll look into the flex jet perhaps. I have a external fuel screw but it's impossible to reach with the starter right below it. 

I bought it big bore and it came with all the OEM parts. May go back to OEM. 

I just ordered some different pilot jets. I'll look into the flex jet perhaps. I have a external fuel screw but it's impossible to reach with the starter right below it. 

I bought it big bore and it came with all the OEM parts. May go back to OEM.

Yeah ... I tested the Big Bore just for the sake of it really , It didn't take me long to realise that this motor design works best with the OEM bore . .. I found the motor much happier with the krannie set up . 02 R cam , jetting , professional porting etc .

• Like 1

Yeah ... I tested the Big Bore just for the sake of it really , It didn't take me long to realise that this motor design works best with the OEM bore . .. I found the motor much happier with the krannie set up . 02 R cam , jetting , professional porting etc .

Been thinking I'd keep the stroker crank in it and then put OEM cylinder/piston back in. Do you think I should toss the stroker crank too? They're supposed to make torque. All I ride is slow chuggy deer paths. 

• Like 1

Been thinking I'd keep the stroker crank in it and then put OEM cylinder/piston back in. Do you think I should toss the stroker crank too? They're supposed to make torque. All I ride is slow chuggy deer paths.

Yeah .. All you are going to do by going back to the OEM is make it MUCH more easier for yourself , if you are pulling Bank Robberies .. This is where the stroker motor truly shines ..lol

The stock( ish) CRF motor is so good to ride at a reasonable pace , super easier starting too .

Honda got this one right ..IMO

• Like 1