Anyone Had a 756 Chunk?

18 replies to this topic
  • RichB

Posted April 11, 2002 - 07:42 AM

I've got a 756 with about 10 rides on it and it has started to chunk. I've been riding only on MX tracks that only have the occasional rock here or there. It's not like I've been riding in the dez on a buttload of rocks. It's still hooking up good (i.e. I holeshot 3 out of 4 motos last weekend) but I'm wondering if maybe anyone else has noticed chunking in similar conditions?

Maybe it's chunking when it spins over the starting gate?????? The new Maxxis IT rear has been rated outstanding, I may give it a try for hook up/durability next.

• tony_t.

Posted April 11, 2002 - 09:11 PM

I ran 756's all last year and everyone eventually started to lose knobs. If you run lower air pressure than 15 psi the torque of the 426 will flex these tires until they weaken and start to lose knobs.

• flyinguitars

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:40 AM

My 756 rears seem to start chunking on the side knobs first but still seem to hook up good. I was thinking about checking out the m-12 or s-12 next.
Mike

• 98yz

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Yup sure have, ran one on my 250 2 stroke, looked like you just tried to peel the knobs off and left the next inner layer showing. Dunlop rep at the Atlanata SX told me to take it back to the dealer and have them send it back to Dunlop. He said it shouldn't do that.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:44 AM

I just put a set of 756's on frnt / rear, I am happy with the traction but the rear has already show signs of chunking, I have 2 hours on them very conserv riding my daughter and I where trail riding with her on the front part of the seat. So beating on the tires where 0

Not Impressed with usage

• thumper4life

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:52 AM

send em back to dunlop....my friends michelins started to do that on the side after about 2 weeks and they said to send em back to them and they will replace them with new good ones. if dunlop is any kind of company, they should replace them as well

• RichB

Posted April 11, 2002 - 11:15 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one. I don't care for the 756 front just from the wear standpoint. I can run a 755 front 5x as long as the 756 front. Trouble is, just about everyone is backordered on them right now (I'm holding out).

I'm done with 756 rears, hook up is good but I don't have the $$ to be replacing this much.

p.s. I had a dunlop rep tell me a few years back that the off road tires were designed to last about 100 miles. I just laughed as I was riding that much in 1 to 2 weeks back then.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 11, 2002 - 11:26 AM

If the tires chunk and wear that quick, I will buy some Ching Chens, I dont go nearly as fast I did 10 years ago, and with my daughter riding with me, heh it beats paying 60 bucks a tire every 3 months

NAh I aint that cheap and beside those good tires puts maybe 4 - 5 hairs on the dingle berries :)

• therapture

Posted April 11, 2002 - 04:19 PM

Man, my 756 chunked the side knobs on about the third ride, and this is on tacky but firm base dirt, awesome traction, VP Cycleranch, awesome spot to ride.

I will be trying a different tire VERY soon...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hokie

Posted April 11, 2002 - 05:42 PM

Is this a new problem with the 756 this year?

I have been using them for 2+ years and have not noticed this problem yet.

• holeshot

Posted April 11, 2002 - 07:09 PM

I had the same experience with the 756 rear - the knobs flew off on a hard packed, rocky trail. It had decent traction when new, though.

• RichB

Posted April 12, 2002 - 04:00 AM

Hokie,

I dont' know. This is my first 756, I ran mostly 752s for the longest time until I moved here almost 2 years ago. This 56 is chunking quicker than the 752 I just had on.

• icbush

Posted April 12, 2002 - 04:10 AM

so quit complaining and try some bridestones the 402 rear is great

• Hokie

Posted April 12, 2002 - 05:12 AM

Originally posted by holeshot:
I had the same experience with the 756 rear - the knobs flew off on a hard packed, rocky trail. It had decent traction when new, though.

Well it is a soft/intermediate tire, so I would expect it to chunk on the hard stuff.

• thumper4life

Posted April 12, 2002 - 05:19 AM

yea, you beat me to it....plus rocks are a no no

• mike_dean

Posted April 12, 2002 - 05:51 AM

My 756's chunked on the left side with the stock chain, no problem with a good o-ring chain. Normally run 15psi and ride sand, hard pack, and mud, with no problems. mike

• RichB

Posted April 12, 2002 - 06:03 AM

I'm not having a problem with the side knobbies, the center ones are chunking.

• Thumpy79

Posted April 12, 2002 - 11:30 AM

I've been running a 756 for abour 3 months and it doesn't have any more wear than normal. I bought it in August of last year.

• BikeDestroyer

Posted April 12, 2002 - 11:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichB:
[QB]Well at least I'm not the only one. I don't care for the 756 front just from the wear standpoint. I can run a 755 front 5x as long as the 756 front. Trouble is, just about everyone is backordered on them right now (I'm holding out).

RichB,

Try the Michelin M-12 front. I used to run the Dunlop 755 but tried the M-12 and will never go back to Dunlop.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.