Photo
- - - - -

What dirtbike next

22 replies to this topic
  • YamaMama

TT Titanium Member

2,743 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 01:27 PM

2005 KTM 200EXC - came off a TTR125 to the 200. A great bike with nice, easy power. Lots of aftermarket and replacement parts available for them. If seat height is an issue, pre 2007 is shorter. You can also get an X Bushing or lower seat. A few mods to "tame" the bike that are also easily removed as you get more comfortable: flywheel weight, Rekluse clutch (I wouldn't bother with the FWW if you go this route), and G2 makes a throttle cam.

Flywheel weight (FWW): reduces throttle response due to more weight to spin, but also helps reduce stalling for same but opposite reason (once it's going it wants to stay going).

Rekluse clutch: this is an auto clutch. Makes life easy on the clutch hand. Clutch as normal or not at all. Little to no stalling, even when you drop the bike.

Throttle cam: this is a throttle tube that has an eccentric cam where the throttle cable rides. It makes your throttle turn just a little further to achieve the same amount of pull, so you have more precise control.

None of them are necessary, but they all have their nice features. And as I mentioned, can all be changed back easily enough as you get comfortable.

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 11:36 PM

No recluse clutch for me, I want to master my clutch abilities :). I'm really leaning toward the Beta Xtrainer in all aspects. Seat height isn't an issue, I'm 5'10. I do however like my feet to touch to paddle through situations because I ride all off-road and it's technical. I did want the 200 xcw, for the last year and almost bought one in San Diego a month ago until someone on this post mentioned a few bikes and I hadn't heard much about the Beta. Since I read about it, everything I've read and seen, sold me. I'm waiting for the dealer here to get back with me. He sells them out of his hanger. 2-stroke 300, seems like plenty of power, detuned so smooth. I wish I could test ride or even sit on one. But he has to order and I don't know anyone with one, Wish I had a group of ladies like on this forum to ride with up here. I have lots more to learn...

• Debi

Get Help Now

8,783 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:11 AM

No recluse clutch for me, I want to master my clutch abilities :). I'm really leaning toward the Beta Xtrainer in all aspects. Seat height isn't an issue, I'm 5'10. I do however like my feet to touch to paddle through situations because I ride all off-road and it's technical. I did want the 200 xcw, for the last year and almost bought one in San Diego a month ago until someone on this post mentioned a few bikes and I hadn't heard much about the Beta. Since I read about it, everything I've read and seen, sold me. I'm waiting for the dealer here to get back with me. He sells them out of his hanger. 2-stroke 300, seems like plenty of power, detuned so smooth. I wish I could test ride or even sit on one. But he has to order and I don't know anyone with one, Wish I had a group of ladies like on this forum to ride with up here. I have lots more to learn...

Hope you can see one or sit on one before you dump money into something. Do you have any motorcycle dealers near you? I am also 5'10" and being flat footed does not bother me on some bikes. Guess I have gotten used to it. I myself am looking for a KTM150SX or the 150XCW for single track and some MX play time. You would be amazed at the power of the newer bikes.

Good luck and hope you get something you will enjoy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.