Photo
- - - - -

What dirtbike next

22 replies to this topic
  • JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 10:50 AM

I am early 40's. just started riding dirtbikes two seasons ago. Learned on a new Yamaha TTR 125. I have outgrown the bike and I just wanted ideas what others thinks is a good next bike. I think I want a 2 stroke because of weight. I like how I can handle my 125 4-stoke but if I get a bigger 4 stroke it's gonna weigh too much. I've been considering a 2013 or 2014 KTM 200 xc-w, extremely hard to find. Any advice or other options. All off road, single track, steeps, back woods in Alaska. But I'm looking lower 48

• dirt duchess

TT Silver Member

695 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 25, 2016 - 11:32 AM

I agree that a two stroke is much better than a four stroke.  If you want anything street legal, Beta makes a brand new full sized, water cooled 125 four stroke that has a lower seat height and a dry weight of 219 pounds.  While it may not be the most powerful bike on earth, it has a good powerband, and the suspension works well for serious off road work.  It doesn't cost an arm and a leg either at $4999.99.  Otherwise, the KTM 200 is a good option.  But surprisingly, the Italian Husqvarna WR125 is a very good trail bike and has a surprising amount of torque for its displacement.  I own one, and all I did to make it into a competent singletrack machine was to replace the 50 t rear sprocket with a 53 t.  You can also boost them to 165 ccs, which will add even more bottom end.  You should be able to find some of these little WRs around for sale also, with the later ones (2009-2013) being the best picks.

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 25, 2016 - 12:51 PM

Sweet!! Thanks for your info. I'll look into those two bikes as well

• Debi

Get Help Now

8,783 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 26, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Are you looking for new or used?

The KTM150XCW is a sweet bike. Does everything you want it to do. Husky also has a 150, yes they are both 2 strokes with E starts also. I race 450 4 strokes and plan to purchase a 125, 150 or 200 for fun times. 250 4 strokes are right around 215 lbs now and the 150's are 205 for the xcw and 198 for the SX(no lights and such),

If you are sticking to single track and more fun open stuff the 150XCW with the wide ratio transmission is perfect. I do not recall the Husky label for their 150.

Good luck.

• dirt duchess

TT Silver Member

695 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 26, 2016 - 08:43 AM

If you are sticking to single track and more fun open stuff the 150XCW with the wide ratio transmission is perfect. I do not recall the Husky label for their 150.

Good luck.

The Italian Husqvarna came in a 150 designation, or 125 with a 150 kit in a box (my 2013 model came that way) in both the CR and WR models.  The new Austrian Husqvarna comes in a 150 size in the TE model, and 125 in the TX model.

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 03:23 PM

I looked at the new 150 xcw but I think it might be too peppy, the 200 xcw seems it's got more coming from the bottom and better for technical trails, which I ride a lot. Plus if I find a used one, it will save a few $K's??

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 03:24 PM

I've been looking into the Beta xtrainer 300. Sounds pretty freekin awesome!! But probably impossible to fond
Oops, find

• dirt duchess

TT Silver Member

695 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 26, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I've been looking into the Beta xtrainer 300. Sounds pretty freekin awesome!! But probably impossible to fond
Oops, find

I like Betas.  I trail tested a 250RR last fall and really liked it a lot.  Great power, handling and suspension, plus I loved the e button and the oil injection.  I would probably be happy with any of the two stroke Betas, but the lower seat height and softer suspension of the 300 Xtrainer is probably a better choice for the kind of trails I like to ride.

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 10:50 PM

Right on dirt duchess, I feel it's best for my riding too. A riding busy just connected me with our only guy who deals them in AK. You seem pretty knowledgeable, what do you think, if any, reason to rather get the 200xcw over the Beta?

• Debi

Get Help Now

8,783 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 27, 2016 - 04:13 AM

Right on dirt duchess, I feel it's best for my riding too. A riding busy just connected me with our only guy who deals them in AK. You seem pretty knowledgeable, what do you think, if any, reason to rather get the 200xcw over the Beta?

Parts for the 200XCW are more readily available vs Beta parts. The 200 is really a 125 with a bigger jug and longer stroke. The 200 I rode was a blast.

Betas are good bikes as are GasGas but again, parts are not always available hence why I sold my GasGas EC250. I race Supermoto so I am not all tuned into single track riding but I do know when I do it I want a bike that has softer suspension vs MX. SX or SM and want something that will chug off the bottom for those tight slow sections. The 150 I got to ride which has sold me on one was set up for tight woods riding/racing and OMG it was so smooth and easy.

Damn it, now I must sell my Van and go buy that 150 lol.

Good luck 

• dirt duchess

TT Silver Member

695 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 27, 2016 - 07:16 AM

I wasn't too impressed with the KTM that I owned.  I'm not very hard on my equipment, and I always take good care of my bikes, but my 05 EXC 250 seemed to nickle and dime me half to death.  It never left me stranded anywhere, but electrical switches went out, the exhaust pipe kept cracking, seals blew (and the expensive one on the shock absorber was one of them!).  I have a KTM dealer about a mile and a half away from me, but the Husqvarna dealer is only a half mile further.  There are also a couple of Beta dealers in the county, so they aren't mor ethan about 30 miles away.  I owned a Beta trials bike back in the mid 80s, and I also sold them, and there didn't ever seem to be any trouble getting parts back then.  Nobody that I kow who owns a Beta has complained about not being able to get parts.  True that Gas Gas has been a real bitch to get parts for, but they have had a lot of financial and distribution problems throughout their years in the U.S.  The bottom line is that you will probably pick something that there is a dealership close to you.

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 27, 2016 - 11:28 AM

I get that and there is a KTM dealer but I'm really leaning toward that Beta. Damnit, I've been considering which bike for almost a year now. Ha! You must be a badass on a bike, riding trials in the80's!!! Way ahead of the curve.

• duke7211

TT Newbie

19 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 27, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Check out AJP.
http://motoajp.com/

Edited by duke7211, December 27, 2016 - 08:25 PM.

• Debi

Get Help Now

8,783 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 28, 2016 - 04:15 PM

I wasn't too impressed with the KTM that I owned.  I'm not very hard on my equipment, and I always take good care of my bikes, but my 05 EXC 250 seemed to nickle and dime me half to death.  It never left me stranded anywhere, but electrical switches went out, the exhaust pipe kept cracking, seals blew (and the expensive one on the shock absorber was one of them!).  I have a KTM dealer about a mile and a half away from me, but the Husqvarna dealer is only a half mile further.  There are also a couple of Beta dealers in the county, so they aren't mor ethan about 30 miles away.  I owned a Beta trials bike back in the mid 80s, and I also sold them, and there didn't ever seem to be any trouble getting parts back then.  Nobody that I kow who owns a Beta has complained about not being able to get parts.  True that Gas Gas has been a real bitch to get parts for, but they have had a lot of financial and distribution problems throughout their years in the U.S.  The bottom line is that you will probably pick something that there is a dealership close to you.

Remember, Beta used to run KTM RFS motors on their thumpers and KTM and Husky motors on their smokers. I only know this as a friend has a 07 Beta 450 and it is the same motor in both of my race bikes (sucks cause he has that damned oil cooler lol) and his brother just sold his 08 Beta 250 smoker which was a KTM motor. Both bought brand new.

Beta has stepped up their game and seem to be a very good bike. Just harder to get parts for around here as there is only two dealers which are 3 hrs either way.

Yes I am a Pumpkin owner HA and have ridden pretty much all the bikes out there (OK, 08 up lol) and I have found that KTM is a well built bike that you can hop on and race. The EXCs I have seen the switches going bad but then again, I do live in Seattle area LMAO.

I get that and there is a KTM dealer but I'm really leaning toward that Beta. Damnit, I've been considering which bike for almost a year now. Ha! You must be a badass on a bike, riding trials in the80's!!! Way ahead of the curve.

If you can, try out a few bikes before you buy. If you have friends that have SOMETHING close to what you want (at least the brand) hop on it and see.

I grew up riding 2 smokers in the 70's/80's and never wanted a thumper until I got on my first race bike that I borrowed for the first time. Trails a smoker is the best as it is lighter (maybe 10lbs) but cheaper and easier to rebuild but (yes the BUT) the exhaust is so easy to destroy. Not a big deal but a simple tip over can end your day if rocky.

So hope you can get out and ride a few before you make your decision. Yes, Dirt Duchess and I have been around and not that way ;) LMAO

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 06:21 PM

I am impressed with you two. And any lady that knows so much, damn! I'm new to this, bought my first bike 3 springs ago 40 years old after I divorced my ex, not one friend had a bike, i loved my wheeler and decided to see if I loved a bike as much. I learned by watching YouTube videos and riding alone. Fell in love. No anxiety, it feels amazing, I hate Alaskan winters more now than before, can't stand not riding. Now Ive met and ride with guys that have been riding and racing a long time, which I feel pushes me to get better. They say I impress them as short a time as I've riden and better than my bike now and need more. The Beta looks amazing. I'd most likely be the only one on the trail so don't have one to test ride. I did test ride the 200 xcw last summer. It'll take time to get use to the hit of power my dinky 125 doesn't have Anyways, that's my story. I preciate y'all ❤️

• dirt duchess

TT Silver Member

695 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 28, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Betas do look amazing, and they perform even more amazing!

DSC00294.jpg

• Bonafatius

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 09:40 PM

I love my Beta RR300. Just got it about a month ago. Have a 450r to sell now. I have ridden my buddies KTM 250 XCW and 300 XC. I like the Beta better. I probably could have saved a grand by getting the X-trainer but my ego won. The race edition didn't have the oil injection like I wanted so who couldn't beat me on that one.

It seems that parts are easy to find if they are OEM. It might not be an off the shelf buy but everything is available. The manuals are some of the easies I have used and FREE on their website, check it out. Aftermarket Beta parts have less variety though. For me I went with tublis front and rear, ARC levers ( I wanted blue and lifetime warranty), rad guards, flag style hand guards and a moose rear rotor protector. I will upgrade the skid plate, or "bash plate" for you aussies, to a force or similar when I beat a huge dent in the pipe and ego defeats me again.

IMG_1482990016.865560.jpg

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Right on, I think you are selling me on Beta.

• Debi

Get Help Now

8,783 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 29, 2016 - 05:35 PM

I am impressed with you two. And any lady that knows so much, damn! I'm new to this, bought my first bike 3 springs ago 40 years old after I divorced my ex, not one friend had a bike, i loved my wheeler and decided to see if I loved a bike as much. I learned by watching YouTube videos and riding alone. Fell in love. No anxiety, it feels amazing, I hate Alaskan winters more now than before, can't stand not riding. Now Ive met and ride with guys that have been riding and racing a long time, which I feel pushes me to get better. They say I impress them as short a time as I've riden and better than my bike now and need more. The Beta looks amazing. I'd most likely be the only one on the trail so don't have one to test ride. I did test ride the 200 xcw last summer. It'll take time to get use to the hit of power my dinky 125 doesn't have Anyways, that's my story. I preciate y'all ❤️

Oh, we were lucky and grew up around bikes. I myself never raced anything (shush but 1/4 mile in cars so I say it does not count)until I was in my 50's lol. I just grew up riding and pushing myself in the deserts of SoCal. Mimi on the other hand is a true BADASS! I keep trying to get her to try Supermoto but she laughs at me LOL.

Any bike you get, look into parts and reliable mechanics for those things you cannot fix. I only bought 1 of my KTMs due to me blowing up my Suzuki DRZ400 at like my 1st real SM race and the bike did not kill me (did knock me out and dislocate my shoulder) so I parted out the DRZ and sold my GasGas to buy the bike lol. Now I own 2 KTM 450SMRs and love them. Parts are easy to get a hold of and I have 3 KTM dealers close (no more that 20 mins). 

I wish you nothing but good vibes on getting a bike you love and to kick the boys butts hehe.

Oh, I never in my dreams thought I would be riding a built 450 and thinking I need more power LOL.

Happy New Year!

Me on my 05 450

13557941_1194258390595763_37041323152299

• JTibbs

TT Newbie

10 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 12:27 AM

Sweet pic! Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.