Backfire

6 replies to this topic
  • yamaman

Posted April 10, 2002 - 04:43 PM

hey guys,
i just got a new exhaust on the 426er and it is starting to backfire when ever i let off the throttle. it never did this with the stock exhaust. so i am wondering if it needs to be re- jetted or what? thanks for your help!

• yz426dez

Posted April 10, 2002 - 06:16 PM

I took my 426 to get a full service. One of the p
roblems i hade was backfire when i let of the gas. What they told me they where going to change the main jet one size bigger. I have the R-4 from white Bros. I also called white bros and they told me to also change the main jet one size bigger.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 10, 2002 - 07:47 PM

The usual scoop is a more open pipe requires richer jetting. Backfiring (or more specifically popping) is a lean indication. Go richer.

mwc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted April 11, 2002 - 12:58 PM

Go with a 168 main. You probably wont have to mess with the pilot or needle unless you start messing with something else.

• Peenton

Posted April 21, 2002 - 03:03 PM

My 2000 backfired horribly.

Check for air leak in the exhaust and clean the hell out of the carb. This may work for ya.

I did the BK mod, went to a 168 main and a 48 pilot w/ 1 1/2 out on the air screw and whamo!! Power that eats a CR450 and no more backfire!!

just my experience.

-jp :)

• Boit

Posted April 22, 2002 - 08:07 PM

Good advice from above posts. As a starting point, you might want to try enrichening the fuel screw a little. From my personal experience in jetting the 426, some popping on decel is desirable. Why? Because you get sharp throttle response when you blip the throttle at low RPM. The aim is to get a muffled pop on decel. It shouldn't be loud or a series of loud pops. Aim for one semi-loud pop followed by one muffled pop. If you can get a kind of "crackling" sound on decel, that is even better. The bottom line is throttle response.

• LJ

Posted April 23, 2002 - 10:56 AM

I had the same problem. I noticed that if I opened the throttle just a little while decelerating, the popping went away. I backed the the fuel screw out just to 2 to 2 1/4 turns out, and the problem is pretty much gone. I also had junk in the pilot jet which caused it to not idle. Once I cleaned that, the bike ran great. You can get a short stubby screw driver at the auto parts store that will fit right into the float bowl counter bore where the fuel screw is. I think I paid under $6 for a package of 3. this makes life much easier to adjust that fuel screw!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.