426 Oil drip

5 replies to this topic
  • justanotherday

Posted March 23, 2004 - 10:58 AM

2002 WR 426. After riding there is oil dripping out of my crankcase breather hose ... ends up being about a tablespoon. I noticed today when I came to a stop several small drops sprayed out on the concrete while still running. Is this anything to be concerned about?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 23, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Keep an eye on it that is a little too much. You may have your oil level high. If not very little should come out if any. Maybe a sign that the valves and valve guides need to be checked and or replaced due to wear. Excessive combustion pressures are getting their way into the head. This will cause the oil to come out. :)

• Shuffler

Posted June 21, 2004 - 03:57 AM

2002 WR 426. After riding there is oil dripping out of my crankcase breather hose ... ends up being about a tablespoon. I noticed today when I came to a stop several small drops sprayed out on the concrete while still running. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Me too. I just bought an '02 426 with 150 miles on it, so it's a new bike. I've noticed a fair amount of oil coming out the crankcase breather under normal riding. Also had more oil drip out after I'd left it on the sidestand over the weekend (not much, but still alarming). I just changed the oil & filter 80 miles ago. I'm a little hesitant to do the crankcase breather mod under these circumstances (don't want oil running into my airbox!). What gives?? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushy

Posted June 21, 2004 - 05:56 AM

It's normal. Mine drips all the time after a hard day of riding, usually the same day I put oil in. Its just excess oil.

• Tim_in_WA

Posted June 21, 2004 - 08:53 AM

Make sure your oil level on the dipstick is right at the midpoint between the min. and max. levels. If the level is past the midpoint, it drips more out the breather tube. If the level is down toward the low level, you should get very little or no drip. And always make sure to let the bike idle for a couple of minutes before checking the oil level.

• mbwhitfi

Posted June 22, 2004 - 11:44 AM

I had the same issue when I first got mine. I had checked and added oil before lettig it run. Much better now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.