GPS systems

16 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted March 23, 2004 - 09:02 AM

hey fellow TTer's whose got a GPS system they use on their bike?? what kind do you have?? thinking about getting one I was looking at the Magellan Sport trak MAP or maybe the PRO....how is your gps attatched to you bike to protect it from crashes??

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 23, 2004 - 09:14 AM

I run the Sport Trac Pro attached to my Camel Back. No vibration great consistent signal and I usually know where I am going so I only look at it when I am lost and need to pull out a Map as well. I dont hit way points because once I have ridden the trail I have no need for many way points except camp. :)

• N7SLC

Posted March 23, 2004 - 09:46 AM

Garmin Etrex Vista snug and sound in it's rubber-mounted RAM Mount :)

Works great and no issues with vibration and such. I have it mounted
across the bar pad so I can use it as a speedo and trip odo.

Dan

• natediggity

Posted March 23, 2004 - 10:03 AM

I also use a Garmin Etrex. IMO they have better map data than Magellen. The Etrex Vista or Legend have very fine resolution for such a small unit. I mount mine to my helmet with marine velcro. Works best to keep constant reception and I don't even know its there. Most of the bar mounts I have seen create way too much vibration for it to be useable. Also the bars on my bike take much more abuse than my helmet so I figure it is a pretty safe place. My friends think it looks funny but I am not out riding in a fashion show. Great way to keep track of average speed, distance, max speed, etc.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 23, 2004 - 10:17 AM

I pefer to use the Trail Tech computer to read speed, distance and average speed. The screens on the GPS units are hard to read when riding. You have to stop. That way you get the best of both worlds. :)

• DOGBITE

Posted March 23, 2004 - 11:24 AM

I use the Magellan Meridian platinum.I can't say enough good about it .I use a ram mount it works well. I see your from Canada so check out GPS central .ca and www.praire.mb.ca. These are both good sites in Canada and you can beat the tax cause they are out of province. :) :D

• willy_fitz

Posted March 23, 2004 - 12:41 PM

I have a Garmin GPS176 Map and a TourTech mount. Since my 450F has a battery I use the bike's electric system to run it. Large screen works great and the ability to load maps into the 176 makes it very useful when up in Central Ontario exploring new trails. I transfer the GPS between the dirt bike, street bike and the truck and while the unit is pricey it does everything i want.

willy fitz

• jrutherf

Posted March 23, 2004 - 01:04 PM

I have used a Garmin Etrex Visa, with a RAM mount on motorcycles for the past two years. I would get a Street Pilot III, with a Touratech mount if I were doing it over again. I have three complains about the Visa. #1- The screen is too small to see while riding. #2- The internal batteries are almost worthless for off-road motorcycle use. Vibration causes the batteries to loose contact and the GPS shuts off. I have tried shimming the batteries and contacts with limited success. If you have a 12 volt(DC) power supply on your bike, the Garmin "hardened" 12 volt external adapter will work (if wraped in bubblewrap). You can buy the hardened adapter from Cycloactive. I tried one that was not hardened and it self destructed. #3- The push buttons on the sides are difficult to operate while riding. Bottom line- The etrex series work great for what they were designed for- hiking! Street Pilots were designed for motorcycles.

2004 WR450 (3 days old).
1997 WR250
1997 1200 Sportster
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom14911

Posted March 23, 2004 - 01:44 PM

Magellan Sport Trac Topo, hard mounted to a small lead-acid battery. Mounted on bars with the motorcycle mount. Works great.

Tom

• ddialogue

Posted March 23, 2004 - 03:27 PM

I pefer to use the Trail Tech computer to read speed, distance and average speed. The screens on the GPS units are hard to read when riding. You have to stop. That way you get the best of both worlds. :D

I use my Garmin instead of my Trailtech. I adjust the font size on the speedo/odo portion and it's just as large as the display on the trailtech. The light stays on too at night. :)

N7SLC built a power supply for it that runs off the battery on my bike and I never have to worry about changing out the batteries. :D I've been running it for a year this way and have had no problems with vibration.

• Frostbite

Posted March 23, 2004 - 05:22 PM

Mine used to shut down even on a smooth trail at high rpm buzz. Try wrapping a bit of electrical tape around each battery to increase their diameter and stretch the springs in the GPS a bit. The thicker batteries are held solidly in place by the battery cover and the stretched springs add a bit more pressure. Worked for me, no more blackouts. :) :D :D

• N7SLC

Posted March 23, 2004 - 06:18 PM

It seems the two most common complaints are tiny screen and gps
shutting off due to vibration.

I've never had a tough time seeing the display. AS ddialogue already
mentioned, you can make the numbers a lot larger and then they're
super-easy to read.

As for the shutting down issue, easily resolved with an external
power source made with SMT components that are vibration resistant.

I have but ONE complaint with the Etrex line. It uses a serial port
instead of USB, lame-o!

GPS III and V versions are too big, IMHO.

Here's to what works for you! :)

• Frostbite

Posted March 23, 2004 - 06:30 PM

I wish I had bought the Vista. I could've used the Jump Master option last year when I broke my shock. :D
:D :D :)

• N7SLC

Posted March 23, 2004 - 06:32 PM

I wish I had bought the Vista. I could've used the Jump Master option last year when I broke my shock. :usa:
:D :D :)

:D :D :usa: :usa:

• yamW400R

Posted March 23, 2004 - 06:48 PM

Is there a braket that you can buy to mount the gps to the bars? or do you have to fabricate something up? website?

• ddialogue

Posted March 24, 2004 - 02:29 AM

Is there a braket that you can buy to mount the gps to the bars? or do you have to fabricate something up? website?

I'm using a ram mount: MINE
Cycoactive carries a line of Ram mounts: Ram Mounts

• N7SLC

Posted March 24, 2004 - 02:40 AM

Is there a bracket that you can buy to mount the gps to the bars? or do you have to fabricate something up? website?

Save yourself about $10 and buy it here:

Garmin Etrex Handlebar Mount

The mount uses rubber balls(no comments, please) to reduce
vibration to the gps unit. The "buzz" from the bike is not tranferred
to the gps, so the risk of vibration damage is low. Besides, the
Etrex is all SMT so they're inherently vibration resistant. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.