01 Oil Change (strainer) Question...

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest__*

Posted April 10, 2002 - 12:50 PM

Ok..I'm ready to do the first oil change on the beast...Question is how often do you pull the skid plate to clean the oil strainer..Knowing me I'll want to do it every time but I realize that might not be necessary...

Steve 01 YZ426F

• FOX426

Posted April 10, 2002 - 12:57 PM

Steve, the first couple of times after initial breakin are the most important. After that maybe a couple a time a year.

• Bill

Posted April 10, 2002 - 02:19 PM

You shouldn't have to pull the skid plate to change the oil (no "strainer" under there)?????? Warm the bike up, pull the drain plug crankcase (should be accesseble through the hole in the skid plate) then get a bucket to catch the oil that will shoot and I mean shoot, out of the drain on the frame. Check your owners manual for the location of the oil filter in the sidecase, pull the filter, inspect for tears, clean from the inside out using brake or carb cleaner. Wait for the filter to air dry (do not used compressed air), re-install. Re-install the drain plugs, fill with 1.7 qts of your favorite oil. Start run for a minute check level while sitting on flat ground with the dipstick NOT screwed in.

Ride hard.....

• skthom2320

Posted April 10, 2002 - 04:05 PM

Yes there is a frame strainer on an '01. I checked it the first few times I changed the oil. Nothing ever in it. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Now, I just do it once in a while. Approaching 100 hours on the bike ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kfrosty

Posted April 11, 2002 - 03:58 AM

02's have them as well. The go back up into the frame. I read the book and asked the guy at the local shop and he hadn't ever heard of it either or ever cleaned it. I checked it a couple of times after that and it was always fine so I don't look anymore and just concentrate on the oil filter.

• BigLou

Posted April 11, 2002 - 04:05 AM

[ April 11, 2002: Message edited by: BigLou ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 11, 2002 - 04:08 AM

If you have an Air gun "Like I Do :D "

The puppy comes of like right now :)

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 12, 2002 - 06:21 PM

As much metal particles and clutch material I had in my oil when I changed it I never had much of anything in the frame strainer. I was using Yamaha 10w50 Semi synthetic racing oil. Yo steve there's gonna be alot of metal in the filter on the first couple oil changes It'll look scary but the dealer and everyone say it's normal.
The cause is flashing on the edges of the gears, Yamaha doesn't deburr them during manufacturing. I talked extensively with shop foreman from three dealers about it the all said the same problem with the flashing.

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: dan Rekito ]

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.