Disability Insurance?

4 replies to this topic
  • couly

Posted April 10, 2002 - 08:38 AM

Do you guys have some kind of disability insurance? I'm wondering what kind of policy would be the most benefical and what it would cost. At my job I have to sit out the first week without pay then I'm covered at 2/3 pay for 3 months. A guy could be financially ruined if anything bad ever happened. I'm out right now for a month with a shattered collarbone, thanking God that it was'nt worse and thinking what if?

Couly

• Glen_T

Posted April 10, 2002 - 09:52 PM

Hey Couly, Sorry to hear about the bone. I believe disability insurance is essential. As a teacher we get some awesome coverage for about 20 bones a month. In a previous life I sold insurance for a brief time, so I'm not an expert, but if memory serves me, you should be able to get a very good policy for less than $40 a month. In my opinion, a person needs disability insurance that will cover you for life. What if you couldn't return to work in 90 days? Which sounds like your concern now. None of the policys will pay 100% because insurance income is not subject to income tax, so they figure 2/3 is about what you take home now. Also they all have some sort of "cool-off" period without benefits. Usually the first week or as month. This length of time influences the price.
Hope this helps.
GLEN

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted April 10, 2002 - 10:33 AM

I have what they call "long term disability insurance" thru my work. It pays 60% of my current wages with some predetermined increases for increased cost of living for the rest of my life. I cant remember what it costs per week, but I'll check and post it (its probably less that the cost of one lunch). I also have a HUGE accidental death and dismemberment policy and then a big life insurance policy.
The accidental death and dismemberment policy only pays out if your dismembered or killed in an accident....doesnt do anything if you have a heart attack, but in case of an accident, the benificiaries recieve payment from both the accidental death and dismemberment policy and life insurance policy. I have a wife and two little ones (2 1/2 and 3 1/2) that depend on me. I wouldnt think of riding without the insurance.
Mike

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 10, 2002 - 10:36 AM

If you have D.I. then break something that puts you out long term it pays 66 percent and is roughly more then you bring home :D

Wait I mean Dont break something to get D.I.
Ok Really Wait :)

I mean if you break something like your Leg or your buddies leg well then I guess if you break your buddies leg you will probably need a new freind, Sorry No Insuranc efor that :D

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 10, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Get the duck, AFLAC. It pays ya if you have to see a doctor for anyreason. The guy I sit next to at work has AFLAC its only 150 for the year he think and it paid for itself with a trip to the ER when his IMS flightline peg found his shin bone. Check it out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.