s.o.s - clutch prob.

33 replies to this topic
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted April 10, 2002 - 01:14 PM

MXcowboy may have a good idea, if Performance Engineering doesnt have a spring set, call Hinson. Those guys are super cool. Whats it like in Isreal these days?

• gal

Posted April 10, 2002 - 06:03 PM

the situation is not good shawn, almost every day we have a suicide bomber, either in a bus or a shoping mall or a restaurant. u cant imagine how this guys are acting, i think they r on drugs,and most of them are 18-24 years old. they told by their religious guys that if they kill themselfs among israelies the will recieve 70 virgins in heaven....
what do u think?
everyday about 5-10 israelies die by a suicide bomber or by snipers, now our army is getting in inside their towns , i hope it will help...
im going to the army on the 22nd this month and i want to enjoy my bike before i leave...

• gal

Posted April 10, 2002 - 09:33 PM

do u guys know what r the characteristics of the springs? i found a springs shop that might help me. and if not i can get a wr400 clutch basket - do u guys know if it the same springs?

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 11, 2002 - 12:36 AM

I'm going out on a limb here. I would _guess_ that the WR springs are probably not quite as strong as the YZF springs, however if you're going into the military on the 22nd and you want to ride until then, then it may be enough to get you by until then. I don't know the potential problems related with running one spring lighter than the others but it's got to be better than running with one completely missing spring. Normally I would say get the right spring, but if you're facing the military in a few days then do what you have to do. I wish you luck and I hope the situation cools off for you soon.

• freestyle111

Posted April 11, 2002 - 12:52 AM

i have some extra barnet clutch springs.if you pm me with your mailing address ill send you a couple.

• freestyle111

Posted April 11, 2002 - 01:06 AM

by the way it doesnt hurt to use clutch mix clutch spring that have different tensions.i use 2 barnett springs and 3 stock springs on my bike.all barnett springs made clutch to stiff and stock springs are just a little soft.when mixing to diferent tension springs you want to use criss cross pattern to keep presssure plate tension even all the way around.

• freestyle111

Posted April 11, 2002 - 01:07 AM

[ April 11, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gal

Posted April 11, 2002 - 04:08 AM

hi freestyle, we r talking about the springs on the back side of the clutch basket not the clutch springs that hold the plates in the front of the clutch.

• freestyle111

Posted April 11, 2002 - 06:42 AM

sorry,i misunderstood post.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 11, 2002 - 07:02 AM

I misunderstood too, sorry about that. In that case I'm not sure what that spring does so I don't really have any good information... :)

• gal

Posted April 11, 2002 - 09:55 PM

thats ok , my mechanic didnt know about this springs also. he said he never knew that u can open the back of the clutch basket, and was surprized from the billet clutch unit....

btw problem solved, im getting a new spring from kyle at performance engineering. thats guys for the help , u r the best

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 14, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Replace the basket with a new one from Yamaha just to get the back gear and cushioning assembly.
Do not Try to rig it with a new spring . This gear \cushion spring assembly is what broke on my 426. gear broke into 3 pieces. broke cases $1600. wait for parts and do it right.

• gal

Posted April 15, 2002 - 01:33 AM

what do u mean rakito?
whats wrong with a new spring from p.e . a one that they took from another stock yamaha clutch basket?

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 15, 2002 - 04:29 PM

Nothing wrong with using one out of another basket as long as it has the same tension as the other springs.
I'd still replace as an assembly though and bolt it to a "Hinson" basket.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.