The page cannot be found

4 replies to this topic
  • Buzz

Posted May 15, 2001 - 07:17 AM

There are many old posts with great subject headings that I would like to read, but when I click on them I get this message:

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

Is this problem on my end or on this web page?

• Bill

Posted May 15, 2001 - 08:02 AM

It's the page.

Try searching in the archives and you'll find info there.

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 15, 2001 - 10:10 AM

I posted a topic titled "Can't access messages older than Oct 2000" which refers to this exact problem. Still no answer.

Bill, unless I just don't know what I'm doing (which is entirely possible, heck , I hope that's the case), your instructions are incorrect. The archive search utility does not work properly.

Someone try this:
-Search the WR400/WR426 General Discussion, entire message, any date, for the word "chain". (I picked "chain" arbitrarily.) My search returns 142 topics, it'll probably be 143 after this posts. The topic dates range from 5/5/2000 to 5/5/2001.
-Click on any topic with a date before November 2000. You get "The page cannot be found" message. The messages after 11/2000 display as expected. If you search for other topics, you'll find that the cutoff date is October 27, 2000, I think. The point of this exercise is to show that the WR400/WR426 General Discussion topics older than October 2000 cannot be accessed.
-Return to the search page and search any of the three WR400 archives. In the WR400 Misc archive, 37 topics are returned as search results, all are older than 5/5/2000.
-Since the results don't return any messages newer than 5/1/2000, they aren't the same topics. Since they aren't the same topics, searching the archives doesn't access the WR400/WR426 General Discussion messages older than October 2000, either.

Now try this:
-"Visit" the WR400 Misc Archive. There, you'll see an archive of 45 pages, which appear to be in pseudo-alphabetical order. The first topic is titled "Nor/Cal Forest Ride Sept. 16/17" and is dated 3/25/2001.
-Click on that message. It opens properly.
-Now search that same archive for "Nor/Cal Forest Ride Sept. 16/17" leaving out the quotation marks. The search results return no messages. But we've established that the topic exists in the archive.

It appears that the search utility is lacking something. The topics are there, but the search engine can't find them. The problem is that you can't go just by the topic name to find useful information.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 15, 2001 - 11:14 AM

The problem here is the forum name has been altered to include the WR426. The software used here for the bb has this problem until the archives are updated to include the new forum name. It's searching for a forum name that no longer exists so it's not going to find it.

The bb administrator has to go into the control panel and update older forum messages. Another problem with this is that there are way too many messages here on ttalk, meaning it could take quite a long time to perform this operation. It would probably be a good idea to do this while the bb is off-line.

• Buzz

Posted May 16, 2001 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Bill,
I am able to retrive the archives between 4/99 to 12/99 & 12/99 to 2/00, which was helpfull, but not the posts between 2/00 to about 10/00.
Do you think Ron is correct about the forum name? At what date was the forum name changed?
I've also noticed that when I click on "show all topics" the date of the last post is 10/00. That's the date I can start reading the posts at.
Maybe these hints will be helpfull for you.
Thanks for all your time and effort you've put into this B.B. This is a great web site.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.