bad gears?

4 replies to this topic
  • Dansgarage

Posted April 09, 2002 - 09:11 PM

I have read some post's on this site and some of you have talked about your gears grinding and losing teeth. Shifting problems and so on. half of you said that yamaha paid for the repair, the other half said it cost them $600 and up. I am very worried about this. is it a common problem? what years? I haven't had any problems with my bike untill last time I went riding. when I am ideling in the parkinglot I have to try and find neutral, but under acceleration and decceleration it finds neutral too easy. going from first to second I have to go up twice, and vice versa downshifting. I went from second to third and I was unable to get full movement out of the shift lever, when I took off the bike slipped back into second (this only happened once). DO I HAVE A PROBLEM?

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Dansgarage ]

• Hootna

Posted April 10, 2002 - 03:51 AM

If you have a problem with your tranny you will know. It will pop out of gear all of the time in certain gears. Maybe you are just worried from reading the posts. If you want you could get a magnetic drain bolt to check for any metal from gears etc. in the oil.

I know I have popped out of and into gears on every bike I have owned due to banging the shifter, fanning the clutch and holding the bike wide open.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dansgarage

Posted April 10, 2002 - 03:50 PM

Thanks man. I appreciate the help.

• YZFcrash

Posted April 11, 2002 - 08:11 PM

I just found out my 3rd gear is trashed on my 2000 426. Yamaha has had problems with them. When you put the same gears from a YZ250 into a YZ426 you will have bad things happen because of the torque. Yamaha will not cover mine, will probably be about 1100 bucks if I have it done. If I do it myself will save about 600.

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 14, 2002 - 04:00 AM

Only happened a few times for me and its quite common on the wr 250f my buddy has. Don't worry about it. Definately get a magnetic drain plug.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.