Just bought my first bike...

I've ridden dirt bikes since I was about 4 years old. No competition or really riding tracks. Mostly just out in the hills. Went from a pw50 - xr70 - rm125 now finally bought a bike for myself. 2013 KX450f. I paid $3300. It has about 50 hours on it. Good deal? Let me know. I've ridden 5 or 6 times on my buddy's 07 crf450x over the last year and before that I hadn't ridden for almost 5 years. I guess I came here to ask, what should I do to my bike? Or should I just leave it stock? It sits completely stock except for Tubliss in both wheels. I'll ride trails, free ride (kinda) and dunes 2 or 3 times a year. Considering a rekluse exp 3.0. Will I be ok just throwing it in there with the stock clutch plates? Should I buy new plates? The Core EXP setup?

What about Fork tuning? I'm 5' 10" weigh 155lbs. Considering a lowering linkage as well. What would be the benefits of that? The Devon Linkage says it lowers the bike 1.25". Has anyone used this one?

IMG_1262.JPG

You shouldn't need to lower it.  Maybe your inseam is short for 5'10"???  Definitely safety riding gear first.  Suspension will need to be done but first you need to ride it and decide what suspension tuning you want.  Basically what riding you will do the most determines the suspension set up.  At your weight, that bike is going to be stiff on trails.  If you ride in rocks and roots it's going to be a handful.  In fast open stuff and on an MX track it won't be so bad.  The rekluse is a must for technical riding so yeah, I'm in agreement with that.  Mainly you just need to get some seat time.  Have fun!

suspension will be too hard for your weight, the lowering link makes the rear softer.. but with 5'10 you should be right without that.

for the fork, we pulled out 40cc oil (makes it softer on full compression), and run with 28psi for trails,  but my son weighs like 190 lbs and is 6'5, rear spring is nice and soft for trails for him, bit soft for jumps, but, you can't have it all

rekluse auto clutch is probably the next, it stalls easy

with only 50 hours on it, expect to do piston, intake valves and timing chain at 100hrs. you'll see the valve clearance on intake valves going quite fast at some stage, ours went at 80 hrs (2.50 shim), and 2.10 shim at 100hrs. ex valves are still at 2.4shim, I left them in. we run hot cams stage1, not as hard on the valves as standard cam.

to get more out of the intake valves, clean your air filter proper, as in..wash it 4 to 6 times before you put it back in.

if i was going to lower it i would just get the optional stock lowering link. I hear for someguys its makes your tire rub on the fender. Also if your killing the bike easly go up one tooth on rear sprocket. I did this and bikes was much better