New to the forum. Question regarding cylinder scoring and break in

Heat and get a drill bit or mill a pin that's small enough to drop in the dowel. Then grab the dowel with pliers and wiggle it out, the drill bit will keep it from crushing in and allow you to put some grin on the dowel.

Great idea. The drill but is slick. Thank you that's exactly what i was looking for.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

That jug looks fine as there are no gauges, scratches or otherwise.  Yea, he probably honed it with some sand paper or steel wool, but, it looks fine.

Personally, I'd purchase a new gasket and new piston ring.  Then, I'd put the top end back together and run it. 

Proper break-in is simply start bike, let it idle until it engine gets hot, then shut it off, no riding.  Do that twice.  Third start is a ride  under low torque conditions.  then, give 'er hell.

If the jug walls are clean above the intake and exhaust walls, which they are, the compression/performance will be good.

FYI... the business side of a two stroke engine has no oil lubrication except the oil in the fuel.  And, it is separated from the transmission side of the engine, which has regular oil.

Had my 01 nickel plated and ported for 600 or so. Not sure what just plating costs. Look at Eric gorrs website just google his name.

nickel? You sure? Regarding break-in I think equally important for long life is proper warm up before putting the engine under load. The piston gets hot and actually "grows" before the cylinder gets fully up to temp. Be patient so you don't get a cold seizure.

Edited by YHGEORGE

nickel? You sure? Regarding break-in I think equally important for long life is proper warm up before putting the engine under load. The piston gets hot and actually "grows" before the cylinder gets fully up to temp. Be patient so you don't get a cold seizure.

Nickel increases life of cylinder and piston

Nikasil plating. Not the same as nickel..