decision time. advice needed

ok folks. i currently have a 2000 ktm 300mxc. my bike is in great shape and runs really strong. a good friend of mine has a 2003 250exc 6 speed. it runs good but not as strong as i think it should. mine kind of ran like that when i first got it. i played with the pv and now it's a beast. i believe i can bring the 250 to run strong as well. he wants to trade with me. i like the way the 250 sits better and it don't feel as tall. it has emig racing lower triple on it and seems to turn better than mine. now keep in mind that i was going to do some upgrading to mine this winter. suspension revalve, set squish and other little things. my main question is would the trade be worth it as far as better suspension (43 vs 48mm). engine size don't matter that much as i used to ride a 200mxc. i like the idea of a 6 speed trans for transitions to other trails. also my 300 feels heavier when riding and more bulky. it is a great bike but if i do the same things to the 250 this winter would it be a better bike. i am getting up there in age so suspension and comfort is important to me.

Edited by ridinredneck

To me the issue is the "good friend" situation.  If the trade goes bad for one of you, it could hurt your friendship.  What if one of the bikes suddenly seizes up or, more likely, just has more issues than the other and therefore one of you feels you got the raw end of the deal?  Is it worth risking the friendship?

• Like 1

To me the issue is the "good friend" situation.  If the trade goes bad for one of you, it could hurt your friendship.  What if one of the bikes suddenly seizes up or, more likely, just has more issues than the other and therefore one of you feels you got the raw end of the deal?  Is it worth risking the friendship?

shit happens and we both know it. not the first time we have dealt. 

being buddies has nothing to do with it. i have read that the suspension and handling got a little better each year for the ktm. mine had 43mm forks. his has 48mm. i ride single track mostly and want something that may be better suspended, turns better and feels lighter when riding. i rode his and it feels lighter and seems to turn better but i need to know if the suspension difference in 3 years is worth it. 

&%$#@!ing trade then!! You're a big boy! They are both POS bikes, one less then the other... If the 03 felt better, then &%$#@!ing trade. You're looking for us to tell you yes, Yes, &%$#@!ing trade, ride it and be happy...

damn dude. someone piss on you today? i am not looking for someone to tell me yes, trade. I asked a very simple, straight forward question. is the 03 suspension better than what i have. i mean if it's too hard of a question then whatever. piss on this section if people gonna act like a-holes. and thanks for the compliment on them being a pos. not everybody has the cash for the newer shit. so screw your high and mighty attitude. 

damn dude. someone piss on you today? i am not looking for someone to tell me yes, trade. I asked a very simple, straight forward question. is the 03 suspension better than what i have. i mean if it's too hard of a question then whatever. piss on this section if people gonna act like a-holes. and thanks for the compliment on them being a pos. not everybody has the cash for the newer shit. so screw your high and mighty attitude.

Yes, suspension will be better... Better? Now run along and play with the other children and let the adults make grown up decisions...

Yes, suspension will be better... Better? Now run along and play with the other children and let the adults make grown up decisions...

thanks. btw, nice adult comments there buddy. forgive me for wanting to ask a question in here but this 45 yr old child was just lookin for a little advice. thanks again for all the help.

thanks. btw, nice adult comments there buddy. forgive me for wanting to ask a question in here but this 45 yr old child was just lookin for a little advice. thanks again for all the help.

You aren't looking for advice, you were looking for somebody to justify you trading the bike, you just wanted someone to say yes, it wouldn't of mattered if anybody told you different or no...

you have never been more w

You aren't looking for advice, you were looking for somebody to justify you trading the bike, you just wanted someone to say yes, it wouldn't of mattered if anybody told you different or no

you have never been more wrong. i like my 300 and it wouldn't bother me a bit to keep it. i have had it a long time. i keep it well maintained. it would be hard to part with it. but i would for more comfortable suspension. i didnt need anybody to justify a trade. only to answer a question. now can we please drop this petty shit. please mod delete this thread. it was not worth the trouble.

can a anyone answer my question?  i am older and want to know if there would be a good advantage in trading as far as suspension and handling goes. 

Do the deal.  You want a 250, he want's a 300?  Its that simple.  

Don't over think it.  If you don't like it, then sell it and buy another 300.

• Like 1

do what you think man,,, what you want...

I know I'll never own anything smaller than a 300 again...

just about perfect for me...

difference being your coming off a 200mxc up to your 300

an I'm coming off a YZ490 down to my 300

actually i owned the 200 years ago. i came off a yz250 to the 300. this is not about power or engine size. either one has enough for me. all i wanted to know was if the handling and suspension was any better on an 03 over a 2000. that simple. but i got pummeled with the bikes are junk and too old to matter. it matters to me or i would not have asked. i can't afford a newer bike right now so this is what i have to work with. times are tough right now.