Backfire anyone?

3 replies to this topic
  • jdyfletch

Posted April 09, 2002 - 04:47 PM

Does anyone have a backfire problem backing off the throttle, diving into a corner? I have checked my header gasket, its OK, no blow by, header to exhaust clamp is tight. Whats up with that?

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 09, 2002 - 06:43 PM

It depends on what you mean by backfire. If it's snapping or popping on decel, your jetting is too lean somewhere. Pay careful attention and see if you get it from high RPM when you back of to 1/2 throttle, 1/4 throttle, and all the way off. Then rejet the circuit for those areas.

If you mean backfiring with loud booms, that's not nearly as common.

mwc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted April 09, 2002 - 07:52 PM

If it's a one-time type of pop on decel, I would say that your pilot jetting is spot on. After experimenting with jetting and adjusting the fuel screw, I have personally found that the best throttle response is obtained by having the engine pop slightly on decel. As mentioned above, if it's a very loud backfire, or a series of loud pops, it's a little lean. Try turning out(counterclockwise) your fuel screw about a quarter turn and then test.

• jdyfletch

Posted April 10, 2002 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll play around w/the jetting and see if I cant get rid of it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.