Fat bikers?

• Please sign in to reply

14 replies to this topic
  • kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 11:29 PM

IMG_1480145291.818011.jpg
Picking myself up a RSD Mayor 2 in a week or so.

Curious if anyone else participated in winter riding on these things. Can't help but smile like an idiot on it

• NYMXer
4,846 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 06:23 AM

Last December, I bought myself a fat bike for a present. I bought it to ride in the winter months and even in the snow, but we never got any.

I love riding it so much, all year round but this week I bought a 27.5x3 carbon hardtail. So now, I have my 29x2.25 full suspension Anthem X, Minnesota Framed 3.0 fatty (w/ optional Bluto fork) and soon, the Minnesota Marquette CF. This is getting expensive, haha

The fat tire bike will give you a better ride than you might expect from no suspension. The tires do offer some good absorption of the roots, rocks and ripples in the trails. They are a bit heavy but for me, I'm okay with that as I want to build up my endurance, strength and fitness. A fat bike has tons of traction that a regular bike can't find. Not just in turns, but in braking and climbing too.

Enjoy your new ride, I hope that you get out often.

• 941MXVET

TT Platinum Member

1,842 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 05:28 PM

Yup, I have a KHS 5000 fatty my wife gave my last year. We have about a foot of snow up above our place right now. Tried to go for a ride, ended up pushing my fat bike 4 miles to try and find some rideable trail, nope! Could barely ride the thing down hill!!!

• kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 11:59 PM

Last December, I bought myself a fat bike for a present. I bought it to ride in the winter months and even in the snow, but we never got any.
I love riding it so much, all year round but this week I bought a 27.5x3 carbon hardtail. So now, I have my 29x2.25 full suspension Anthem X, Minnesota Framed 3.0 fatty (w/ optional Bluto fork) and soon, the Minnesota Marquette CF. This is getting expensive, haha

The fat tire bike will give you a better ride than you might expect from no suspension. The tires do offer some good absorption of the roots, rocks and ripples in the trails. They are a bit heavy but for me, I'm okay with that as I want to build up my endurance, strength and fitness. A fat bike has tons of traction that a regular bike can't find. Not just in turns, but in braking and climbing too.

Enjoy your new ride, I hope that you get out often.

Nice!

I also ride an Anthem. I have an Anthem advanced 1, and we only get 27.5 in Canada.

I see myself doing a lot of summer riding on the fat bike as well, but we do have a lot of dedicated fat bike trails around my city as well as nearby ski hills with fat bike routes

• JEEPNICK

TT Member

26 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 04:21 PM

IMG_1482970750.233995.jpg

My first snow ride a few weeks ago with my dog was awesome. I ride my trek 9.6 everywhere. I sold my mountain bike because I liked it so much. In the snow was amazing. I put 3.7" on the 9.6. It originally came with 3"

• kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted December 28, 2016 - 05:01 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_1482970750.233995.jpg

My first snow ride a few weeks ago with my dog was awesome. I ride my trek 9.6 everywhere. I sold my mountain bike because I liked it so much. In the snow was amazing. I put 3.7" on the 9.6. It originally came with 3"

I can't wait to get out with Berne on the FATBIKE.

I ended up going with a 2017 Norco Bigfoot 6.2

• NYMXer
4,846 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 03:55 PM

The Marquette 27.5x3 w 1x11 gearing. This is really a sweet ride and had I bought it first, I wouldn't have the other bikes, it is that good!

Framed Marquette.png

Framed Marquette Right Side.png

• Arctic Pride

TT Addict

3,583 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 04:04 PM

Haven't ridden the full fattie yet but my next bike will definitely be a 27.5+ after spending the day on one over tgiving

• kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 12:03 PM

IMG_1483992179.169742.jpg

Time to ride!

• NYMXer
4,846 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 04:09 PM

Well Kyli3, she sure is clean. Nice bike

• kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 08:51 AM

IMG_1484153420.733321.jpg IMG_1484153430.586013.jpg

Had a nice roll for an hour. Berne enjoyed himself immensely

• NYMXer
4,846 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:10 AM

Nice GSD, I wish that I could take mine riding with me but the trails get used by others and she is protective.

I often thought about putting a muzzle on her but never did. She is good w other people, just not other dogs.

It's nice to see that you got out and rode, I getting soft from not riding lately.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0439.JPG

• kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:59 PM

Pretty girl! How old?

I didn't think I'd see anyone as it was -12 and windy by the lake where we were and I was right. Berne is mostly interested in the snow anyway.

I've taken berne mountain biking, fat biking, off road, and to the track and he's good to just watch dirtbikes from his truck haha, but loves to putter along with the bicycles. He's meant for power not speed so it's slow going with berne but I love it.

• NYMXer
4,846 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:24 PM

Pretty girl! How old?

She just turned 7 Dec 27. Her fur is soft and plush, very smart, trained easily and has an almost 60 word vocabulary. She just does not like other dogs. At 85 pounds, she is big for a female and very strong.

I think she and your Berne look a lot alike.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0150.JPG

• kyli3

TT Silver Member

877 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 04:18 PM

Aw :) sounds like a nice girl.

Berne is an ISSR Shiloh shepherd. He turned 7 August 2nd.

Berne is just over 120 lbs.

He's been the most amazing companion. IMG_1484353054.073779.jpg

Berne on the left

IMG_1484353098.827321.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Have you been to a riding school? by ItsConer

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Off-Road Riding Technique
  • * * * - -
  • Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ducking technic on trail riding. by arnego2

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Off-Road Riding Technique
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Seriously considering 12 months off dirt bikes by ScootMcGoot

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.