Coughed then died...bummer

8 replies to this topic
  • twej

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:05 AM

While practicing at Hangtown, my bike coughed then quit running. I looked down at the engine and saw radiator fluid running all over...but that's a different story.
I pulled the plug wire off the plug and stuck another plug in the wire to check for spark, nothin'. Anyone have any idea's of which expensive electrical part I may be replacing?

Thanks
Wej

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:16 AM

There's no telling. I would sit down with an electric meter and the manual and see if you can figure out which part is bad.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:18 AM

twej
it sounds to me that there may be a short between the seat and handle bars :)

Serious did the bike have any other symptoms prior to the Haccccckkkkkk Putui

like low speed spitting, high speed spitting ?

I would suggest look at the coil connect frame ground and the any broken wire.

Outside of having the ignition tested, I am just guessing, Visual inspect would be the call as SirThumpy points out..... :D

Good luck

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Hootna

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:42 AM

Thumpalot has got it right, it isnt fun but I had an ignition problem on my Honda and it was 2 weeks old. You need to check all of the OHM readings for the kill switch and the ignition etc. I dont recall if there is a trouble shooting section for the ignition in the YZ manual but it has to be better than the piece of toilet paper that came with my CR. If possible see if you can borrow someones ignition module and see if that helps. It could be the kill switch shorting but all you need is to disconnect it should have a couple of connectors by the ignition. Also you did try another plug and made sure it was completelty seated in the cap.

I feel for you Ignition problems are the worst.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hootna

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:45 AM

Oh and makje sure you are kicking / pushing with some force, if you push it through slowly you wont get a spark. Also use a good OHM meter, I had a real small cheapy one and it wouldnt give good readings.

By the way my Honda miraculously started to spark and I never knew what went wrong. It is running with no problems to this day.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:51 AM

PS

Hootna made a good point disconnect the Kill Button from the bars, I have seen these short

Then chk spark

Shot in the dark

• twej

Posted April 09, 2002 - 03:48 PM

Thanks guys,
I'll let ya know if/when I find something out. And EgoAhole there was no other indication of something going bad. No sputtering or unusual behavior...'cept maybe when I cleared the 60'dbl.

wej

• twej

Posted April 11, 2002 - 08:11 PM

Turned out to be a fried Stator Coil. Guess I let the bike idle a bit too long, a bit too often. $180.00 bucks later and I'm good to go. Thanks for the help guys, gotta luv this place. BTW, its a '99 yz400, so it had a few rides on it.

Wej

• Hootna

Posted April 12, 2002 - 03:44 AM

Man that is a lot of money, but guess it is worth it to get back on the track.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.