Raptor 660 and 660r differences.

I have bought a 2001 raptor 660r but my questions is what is the difference from the 660r and 660? Some say they changed the gear box a little and modified the sub frame. And some say there is no difference. And what's the top speed on both of them.

Yeah, I think the "R" stands for "repaired" 

There were some gearbox problems with the 2001 models.

I had a 2003 and no problems with it. 

vehicles-236367-0-57707700-1478554148.jp

As you can see, I had the GYTR exhaust system. LOUD! 

The quad was an awesome thumper. Had to redo the axle bearings every year from water ingress. 

Oil changes were a bear.

Top speed was over 85mph with the right sprockets. Very scary at those speeds. Not recommended. 

The 700 Raptor was not much faster or quicker and sprockets generally determined who would get ahead. 

The 660 is a wheelie king! It will wheelie at 70mph. 

I used mine for off roading;

vehicles-236367-0-65559800-1478554342.jp

Air down to 3psi and it will go some awesome places. 

Great quad, but I replaced it with this one:

vehicles-236367-0-11512500-1479069981.jp

Ya. That's what I'm doing. I like how the raptor 660 has reverse. And they make good Enduro quads.

The Blaster that I switched to is 100 lbs lighter than the 660 Raptor. I can reverse by kicking the tires! 

The reverse rpm limiter on the 660 was a bit of a problem. It would cut out as I tried to reverse. 

The switch was a bit wonky too. There was an aftermarket switch that made reversing much easier. 

Read up, there are ways of bypassing the limiter, and I believe there was a handlebar mounted switch. 

Steve

Yeah, I think the "R" stands for "repaired"

The "R" stands for some racing upgrades, but in the Raptor's case, it really isn't a race machine. I owned a YFZ450 and that quad would destroy my current ride, a 700R Raptor, except in the softer ride with reverse department.

The "R" stands for some racing upgrades, but in the Raptor's case, it really isn't a race machine. I owned a YFZ450 and that quad would destroy my current ride, a 700R Raptor, except in the softer ride with reverse department.

Agreed, but the Raptor wins out in durability over the 450. 

You don't have to change the oil on the Raptor after a full day's riding and with reasonable luck, the average Raptor will never have it's engine repaired. Not so much the average 450 where at least a piston overhaul is considered part of yearly maintenance.

The 660 or 700 Raptor is certainly thrilling to ride, quite capable and dependable.