leaking fork seal

2 replies to this topic
  • cphillis

Posted May 14, 2001 - 07:12 PM

I have a 2000 Wr 400 and I am having problems with the left fork seal leaking this is the second time I have had to replace the seal. I checked the inner fork tube for any pits or dings and found about 5 pits in the inner tube. Has anybody else had this problem and how can you fix the tube with out replacing the it with a new tube? I think this came this way because the first seal I had to replace after the second ride.
Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 15, 2001 - 07:05 PM

I don't know about the pits in the fork...you might try polishing or fine sanding to remove the pits. I'm going to use Factory Connection fork seals. They are made from softer rubber to seal better and have 1mm of extra lip for better protection. I'm just waiting for my Yamaha dealer to have an open slot :)...Hope this helps

• enigma675

Posted May 16, 2001 - 11:31 AM

cphillis

You might try this. Slide your dust seal down, and clean around your fork seal and the fork tube with a .003 feeler gauge. Then put a liberal amount of lithium base grease on the seal and in the dust seal. Then put the dust seal back in place. Every so often pull the dust seal down, clean and grease again. I got this out of Dirt Rider and it has worked more than once to stop leaky seals. This is also mentioned in your owner's manual. I know you said you have pits but the grease may help keep the seal from leaking.

Michael

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.