2 stroke head grooving...

1.5mm stack to align ports at TDC thus i don't want to alter port timing. And im afraid i am but as with most information regarding 2 strokes, it is fractal and open to interpretation, hence i am asking for opinions and hopefully somebody with a bit of knowledge and experience will share their wisdom.

Not you apparently...

1.5mm stack to align ports at TDC thus i don't want to alter port timing. And im afraid i am but as with most information regarding 2 strokes, it is fractal and open to interpretation, hence i am asking for opinions and hopefully somebody with a bit of knowledge and experience will share their wisdom.

Not you apparently...

The altered port timing would be an additional benefit.

• Like 1

Assuming it was the head that you already skimmed...... If it was mine, I'd do some creative Dremel work and  hand polish for a smooth blend within the squish area. You probably have to do trial and error compression checks to get what you want anyway. Much easier to Dremel out a little at a time, and "sneak up" on the desired compression than to do multiple machining setups, or risk removing too much material on your 1st machining pass.

Worse case cylinder heads are relatively cheap to replace, I'm still hunting for reviews of heads people have machined, but the theory appears sound. Though I do wonder about the effects on piston cooling and whether it negates the benefits of a squish type combustion chamber

The whole point of the squish band is to compress and move the charge to the center. Adding grooves only gives an area where the change won't move to the center.

I have not messed with 2-st in a long time, but I do remember that if the squish velocity gets too high you get detonation. So the width of the squish as well as clearance is important.

Edited by slotracer577

In one of the classic 2 stroke tuning books it also states the squish benefits cooling by providing a layer of cool gas around the periphery of the piston. I wonder if these grooves negate it by allowing the flame front to travel up them and ignite this layer sooner?