YZ TIMING WOW

7 replies to this topic
  • comp182

Posted March 21, 2004 - 07:05 PM

Just change my 02 426 to the yz timing. All I can say is wow. I have never hit the rev limiter on my wr timing ever. I can't keep it off the rev limiter with the yz timing. What a diffrents. If you haven't done it you better.

• Hamish

Posted March 21, 2004 - 09:51 PM

Thats what I thought, until I started doing some technical rocky hillclimbs in 1st and 2nd gears! :shocked:I'm thinking about getting some slotted sprockets so I get get a nice compromise somewhere in the middle.

Hamish

• YZ426FPilot

Posted March 23, 2004 - 08:08 PM

Funny, I dont have any problems on technical, rocky hillclimbs in gears 1 & 2 on my YZ timed YZ426. Hmmmm :)

What are slotted sprockets & what do they do? Ive never heard of them before.

• simon@vic

Posted March 23, 2004 - 08:31 PM

i ride places where wr cam timeing is an asset.
but when SM season comes its going to be YZ for sure. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2004 - 01:59 AM

It is hard to beat WR cams in nasty technical low speed riding. I am sure that anyone can ride with YZ timing but it is easier with the WR timing. You guys with a WR426 have the best of both worlds. Being able to switch back and forth. We have to buy a whole new cam. :)

• Hamish

Posted March 24, 2004 - 03:07 AM

maybe u r just a better rider than me, only had the 426 for a few hundred km's, and only been dirt bike riding for 6 months or so. Guess I'll get smoother as I get better.

Slotted sprockets are cam sprockets that are secured to the camshaft with two small bolts. There is a small slot in the sprocket where the bolt mounts the sprocket to a boss that is pressed onto the camshaft. This allows you to adjust the cam timing infinately, to get the exact power curve you desire. Using a degree wheel and a dial indicator, you can precicely set the lobe centres of the camshaft. This process is called 'dialing in the camshafts' Check the HotCams site for pics.

Hamish

• simon@vic

Posted March 24, 2004 - 05:11 AM

is there an adjustable exaust cam with the auto decomp yet?

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted March 25, 2004 - 11:38 AM

It is hard to beat WR cams in nasty technical low speed riding. I am sure that anyone can ride with YZ timing but it is easier with the WR timing. You guys with a WR426 have the best of both worlds. Being able to switch back and forth. We have to buy a whole new cam. :)

Wanna trade bikes? I would love the magic button. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.