which grey wire, i have two??

11 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted March 21, 2004 - 06:26 PM

Hello, sorry to be annoying about this grey wire stuff
BUT i have a wrf400 99 model and i want to disconnect the grey wire, but when i look on the right side out of my CDI, i have a 2 pin connector with a black/white wire and one grey. the grey one stops at the junction and the b/w continues
ALSO i have a 6 pin connector with a grey wire in it too. which one do i cut?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 22, 2004 - 08:08 AM

It should be the gray wire under the tank in the 6 pin connector. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 22, 2004 - 08:47 AM

Disconnect the one coming out of the CDI.

• tcmII

Posted March 22, 2004 - 09:52 AM

Indy,

I had the same question earlier this year on my 98 WR400. If you check the owners manual and use the manuals color coding there is only one grey(gray) wire, and that grey wire is part of the 2-pin connector. It also goes to the CDI unit.

Additionally, when I look at the six-pin connector on my bike there is a wire that could be considered grey or light blue, depends on opinion I guess.

I am currently suffering some performance issues and now I am not certain that I disconnected the correct wire.

Are you sure that the wire to disconnect is in the 6-pin connector, independent of the model year? I would sure like to get this right.

If it would help, I can scan and post or PM the wiring schematic from my owners manual.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted March 22, 2004 - 10:13 AM

does the gray wire mod also include the 1998 YZ400F?
And what exactly after cutting this gray wire do to the performance of the bike?

Indy,

I had the same question earlier this year on my 98 WR400. If you check the owners manual and use the manuals color coding there is only one grey(gray) wire, and that grey wire is part of the 2-pin connector. It also goes to the CDI unit.

Additionally, when I look at the six-pin connector on my bike there is a wire that could be considered grey or light blue, depends on opinion I guess.

I am currently suffering some performance issues and now I am not certain that I disconnected the correct wire.

Are you sure that the wire to disconnect is in the 6-pin connector, independent of the model year? I would sure like to get this right.

If it would help, I can scan and post or PM the wiring schematic from my owners manual.

• Cmott426

Posted March 22, 2004 - 10:23 AM

does the gray wire mod also include the 1998 YZ400F?
And what exactly after cutting this gray wire do to the performance of the bike?

It is only for WR's. It gives the WR YZ ingition timing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ckulzer

Posted March 22, 2004 - 11:22 AM

Here is a link to off-road.com. They did a page on the steps needed to make the WR450 run correctly. About half way down, you will find the info on the grey wire.

http://www.off-road....4/runright.html

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

• tcmII

Posted March 22, 2004 - 03:39 PM

While I Appreciate the input so far, it is all for late model WRs. I went to the dealer to day and they let me look at their service bulletin book of '03 and it shows the grey wire in the 6-pin connector. They also let me look at the 1999 book, but there was no information.

I just looked at the 1998 Owners Service Manual and there is no grey wire in the 6-pin connector. The only grey wire is in the 2-pin connector.

I am still looking for some that can confirm the correct wire/connector for the early (98 - 99) models.

• Brettv

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:47 PM

hmmm, im still confused, does anyone who owns a 99 model and has done the grey wire mod, know which one to cut? and what does the other one do?

• jwriott

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:55 PM

I'm pretty sure the 98-2002 are the same and it's the one in the 6 pin connector. Don't cut the wire, carefully ease it out of the connector. That way, you can always replace it if you don't like the results without having to splice it back together. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 23, 2004 - 05:14 AM

As I mentioned before, it is the grey wire coming out of the cdi box on the right hand side of the bike. Follow it back under the tank and disconnect it at the connector.

• Brettv

Posted March 23, 2004 - 01:16 PM

yeah ok, but what im trying to figure out is which one, i have TWO grey wires coming out of my CDI, one on a 6 pin connector and one on a two pin connector
thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.