TM Designs Chain buffer evaluation

8 replies to this topic
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:38 PM

This thing is precise, slick, fits well and sturdy. That said, I hate it. Its so freakin noisey that its actually distracting. The chain slap sounds like a fircracker going off, and yes the chain is adjusted properly. Anybody else have part and same result?

• dirtdad

Posted April 08, 2002 - 11:53 AM

I've had one on my bike since it was new and yes, it's very noisy. I've even had someone come running up to me after leaving the track to warn me that something was wrong with my bike!! I've only noticed it being noisy though when I'm off the gas and after a year of riding, it shows very little wear! I think it's worth dealing with the noise. I just try and stay on the gas more! I'm running an X-ring chain and wonder if chain type makes a difference in the noise factor!?

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

• crazyadam

Posted April 09, 2002 - 04:39 AM

I just put the TM buffer and guide on last week... and after 3 hrs of testing....
but, I put automotive "GOOP" (glue stuff) between the swingarm and the buffer so that the buffer can not flex and slap the swingarm!
I do not notice ANY more noise than stock! I used a seringe to fill the gaps, and even put a bit of goop behind the vertical strap, on the side.

I would say this is A MUST DO!!!
I did not even test without the GOOP, because I can see the chain pushing or flexing the buffer onto the arm... and that is where the noise is generated.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 09, 2002 - 06:22 AM

Hey that's a good idea with the goop! Where do you get a syringe to squirt the stuff in with?

As for the x-ring chain, with the stock slider min was actually much quieter with the x-ring than with the stock chain. Then again I replaced both at the same time so a worn buffer may have been more noisy than the new one. Anyway, maybe I'll try a TM and some goop for my next one. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazyadam

Posted April 09, 2002 - 08:06 AM

I have a few boxes of syringes in my shop to get oil or loctite in tight spaces.
I used one without the needle, (just the tapered part that the needle sits on) and was able to fill all the gaps!
I could send a half dozen out if you can not find anything.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 09, 2002 - 11:15 AM

I shall goop. Goop is good. I really hope that works, because, I really hate that noise. It reminds me of the connecting rod coming out the front of my XR. Not pretty.

So goop it is. They make several kinds of that goop now, which kind did you use?

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 09, 2002 - 02:10 PM

Hey if they don't sell those things in drug stores to the general public (do they?) then I would love to trade you a brand new tube of moly grease for a few syringes (I had to buy a case so I have a few extra tubes). Deal? :)

• crazyadam

Posted April 10, 2002 - 03:55 AM

No Problem! I have a 30 gallon drum of mobil grease, so I'm all set there! But thanks!

send an address and I will send you a handfull.

would you like the needles as well, or just the syringe tube? they are all sealed in bags, in tubes, like they have at the Dr.s.
Please don't try to draw any blood though. :)
I'm afraid of needles. :D

I used automotive GOOP! but I have used the Marine Goop as well, and I think it is the same stuff in a different label :D

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: crazyadam ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 10, 2002 - 06:17 AM

No needles for me, just the syringes are fine. I'll shoot you and email. Thanks!!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.