Whos to Blame?

My dad has a 2001 yz250 and a little bit ago i took a hefty fall and bent the bars, when he came home from work cause he is a truck driver he bought new bars and put them on. The next day Saturday November 5th 2016 we went to a famous ORV pit type of place called the Mounds, look it up if you like, when we got there we rode around for about an hour and then my bike quit, i was with my dad my friend and my dads buddy, So with my bike broke he tells me to take his and go for a ride while he calls my mom so i hop on and ride into the area. Wellll i went around a burm which i failed to notice was a water hole because of the rain, the bike slid out from underneath me and i slammed the ground. When i picked up the bike i see the worst possible outcome......the bars are bent sideways again!! I started to freak out at the fact that i bent them again after he replaced them the night before, Now as a reference the mud that i fell in was so soft that if you stepped in it you would sink a good 4 inches. My dad was more disappointed than mad but i told him its because he bought a cheap pair of bars and he just gave me The Look as most kids get my age when parents dont want to listen to you. Do you think it was my fault or his fault for buying cheap bars? 

So you wrecked his bike and you want to know if it is his fault?  he let you ride his bike, and you wrecked and tore it up and then blamed him because he didn't get the more expensive parts?

If you would have said that to me after the incident, a trip to the woodshed (google it, I'm guessing you've never been) would have been in order.  AND you would have had to double up on paper routes to pay for new bars....

Kids these days.... SMH 

You ought to go apologize to him for messing it up, thank him for letting you ride it and being a cool dad and riding with you, and offer to fix the bike yourself.  And then take some time to appreciate ALL that he does for you.

• Like 19

You ought to go apologize to him for messing it up, thank him for letting you ride it and being a cool dad and riding with you, and offer to fix the bike yourself.  And then take some time to appreciate ALL that he does for you.

^^^I have to agree with this ^^^

Sucky situation however  - He offered his bike to you being a good dad, you should offer to fix what you broke regardless of what part it is.

Edited by BowHunter2400
  • Like 5

So you crashed and bent his bars not once, but twice and yet you still have to ask who or what is to blame?

I know it it nearly impossible for most kids to own up to their mistakes but it is time you do that. I wouldn't let my son ride my 250 unless he was employed and knew that he would cover any damage. I agree with the above, you should be thankful he lets you use his bike at all.

And yes, sometimes even good bars can bend from seemingly light crashes. It is luck of the fall most of the time.

• Like 2

^^^I have to agree with this ^^^

Sucky situation however  - He offered his bike to you being a good dad, you should offer to fix what you broke regardless of what part it is.

upgrade them to Renthal Twinwalls to show you appreciate the fact he lets you ride his bike and to show you don't want to bend them again. 

• Like 6

You were riding, you crashed, YOU bent the bars. Think about this for a minute...... Had you not bent the bars the FIRST time, he would not have to have purchased a "cheap" set of bars as you mention. YOU, and no one else is to blame. Just be thankful that your dad took it as well as he did. When you are a father one day, your son will do something similar. Your dad set a great example and I hope when that day comes for you, you handle it as well as he did.

I would recommend you buy him a good set of bars, and put them on for him, and wash his bike to get all of the mud off that you probably got all over it when you dumped it. Be THANKFUL that your father not only allows you to ride, but supports you by buying you a bike, parts, gear, and rides with you. I wish my father would have ridden with me. You are a very lucky man as many kids I know don't get to ride motorcycles.

Another lesson for you to learn here & now; DO NOT BORROW things from people. Going forward in life as an adult this lesson will serve you well. If you don't have the cash in your pocket to repair, or replace, other peoples things, simply do not borrow them. This applies to people wanting to borrow things from you too. If they don't have the means to pay out of their pocket to repair, or replace, whatever it is they want to  borrow then you should NOT loan things to them.

• Like 5

?  This thread brings the funny.  I think there ought to be a contest for our young OP for a new user name.  YoungAnd_________.  Fill in the blank and the winner gets to present the OP with his new name. ?

Your fault.  Mud can make it worse since the bike will not slide, but dig in.   How about this, don't wreck his bike.   Don't blame others for your screw ups.  Man up.  We all make mistakes, accept them, learn from them. 

Since you said the bars were 'cheap' it won't cost much for YOU to replace them.

Go give your Dad a hug and tell him you love him.   Cherish the memories with your pop.  You may not realize it now but no matter how invincible your Dad is, they get old and these days don't last forever.  

As to buying cheap stuff, life ain't cheap.  I don't know the financials but as you get older you will realize that money can be tight after paying for housing and food, a truck and gas and sometime there just isn't enough to go around, but you still want to go riding with your family and have some money left over for a few Christmas presents. 

Edited by 12Many
  • Like 3

Not Dads fault at all. Cheap bars may have lasted him a lifetime without your help.

Good life lesson for you. Anytime you use someone elses stuff, no matter how cheap, it's your fault if it breaks.

You break it, you buy it.

Another vote here for Renthal twinwall bars.

That's my logic too...

And don't borrow something that you can't afford to fix or willing to fix...

Edited by Monk
  • Like 4