Damaged Radiator Question

11 replies to this topic
  • bbeakley

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:15 PM

I had the stupidest crash resulting in a slightly tweaked right radiator. It has weeped a little fluid and I heard the fluid boiling by the time I got back to the truck (presumably due to lower pressure from the leak reducing the boiling point).

Question is: can the radiators on these be repaired at all or do I just have to part with the $140 for a new one? (I don't have it off the bike yet to assess the damage)

• yzf_virgin

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:17 PM

Where did you find one for $140?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:21 PM

Ya thats a really good question, where did you find one for 140?

Yes they can be fixed. There is a guy with an ad in Cyclenews in Fontana Ca. Also a guy in Utah that is supposed to do a fantastic job, but I dont have any experience with them. Good luck.

• Merfman

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:24 PM

IMHO, these guys (Myler's) are the class of the field. I've had a couple of rads fixed by Terry and company and they've always done what they said they would do when they said they would do it. Their prices are very reasonable as well.

• bbeakley

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:57 PM

Oops, I must have been thinking about a used parts sale post that appeared on here, Partsfish.com has them for $210 for the assembly. Ouch.

Really stupid part is the crash was a tip over on a hill climb that I didn't make because after checking my valves I put the exhaust cam back in with the timing a few teeth off resulting in less power. Damn I hate it when I'm dumb.

Thanks for the link to the repair shop, $35 sounds a lot better than $210.

• x654TCCRA

Posted April 08, 2002 - 11:04 AM

Mylers in Utah did an awesom job when i broke mine. very good price and 1 day turnaround. call them at 1800 367-7699.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted April 08, 2002 - 11:13 AM

I have both side of the radiator for sale, for
$140 a side. They are in near mint shape.

• yankee

Posted April 08, 2002 - 01:06 PM

Yamaha rips off their customer on the price on their parts. My car's radiator doesn't cost that much and it is a whole radiator not a half radiator like the bikes.

I am glad that my 450's radiator only costs $94 to replace it brand spanking new. :)

• Fireball

Posted April 10, 2002 - 05:21 PM

Mylers has fixed 2 radiators for me over the years and the work was great! Price was good, too, and it beat the heck outta buying a new one.

• SealClubber

Posted April 10, 2002 - 07:24 PM

I just squished my left one in a nice 50ft slide. Didn't break it though. I will be ordering some guards this weekend. If they won't mount up then I will definitely call those shops. $200 for a radiator. OUCH! :)

• bbeakley

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:22 AM

For those of you who have had this done (the repair work):

Do they return the radiator to its original shape or just make it so it doesn't leak anymore? Reason I ask is the grey plastic piece that is on the front of the radiator (air direction fins), bent with the radiator. If the radiator gets straightened out I'll need new ones, if they just patch the hole so it quits leaking, I'll reinstall the bent one. Please advise.

• KTM250rm

Posted April 11, 2002 - 10:47 AM

Myler's will do what ever you want, but most of the time they will straighten the radiators to just for alittle more.

I would let Mr. Myler know what you want done. He has done several for me that were bent and leaking and they looked brand new when returned.
Leaks fixed for around 35.00, leak and straightening around 50-65.00.

Here is his website http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

[ April 11, 2002: Message edited by: KTM250rm ]

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.