05 wr 450's

9 replies to this topic
  • yogist

Posted March 21, 2004 - 01:20 PM

Im planning on getting a new bike in the fall, either a
wr 450, or a 450 crfx.. The problem with the hondas valves
is leaning me more to the wr..I would imagine the key shearing problem should be taken care of on the 05s..
I understand the Yamahas valves havent been in need of
adjustment for several thousand miles..Does anyone know
whats in store for the 05s..? any other problems you think
they should address for 05?? The Yamaha motor seems to
be more dependable than the crf..True ??
Thanx in advance for any replies..
Im 45,215 lbs an just like to trail ride and singletrack,
I want to street legal it also for running short sections
of highway between trails...

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 21, 2004 - 01:37 PM

Don't know what's up for the '05 WR's. I would imagine they'll be about the same but maybe with the larger '04 YZ forks (hardly a necessity for trail riding). The woodruff key problem was taken care of in the '04 model with the redesign of the starter drive. As for the CRF450X I have yet to see anything definitive that it will even be produced much less when??? To my knowledge Honda hasn't made any official announcement - just rumors.

• yogist

Posted March 21, 2004 - 01:55 PM

What is the difference in the valve assembly that makes
the wr,s clearence hold longer than the hondas? I see guys
with the crfs already putting new valves and springs on
fairly new bikes because thet are continuously going to
0 clearence..

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 21, 2004 - 02:50 PM

I think it may be because Yamaha uses a 5 valve head they can use smaller valves and still obtain the equivalent airflow. The Honda has much larger valves but there are only 4 of them. Whatever the reason it's extremely reliable. I've had 3 4xx's and none of them have had any valve problems whatsoever.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 21, 2004 - 04:33 PM

Yamaha has a superior valve train design! No arguments there. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JVP

Posted March 22, 2004 - 11:43 AM

2005 WR450F? I heard talk of an Aluminum Frame.:) Not like the Honda's. It is suppose to look similar to a conventional frame, but with boxed tubing and lots of gussets.

• Dean400

Posted March 22, 2004 - 01:24 PM

The Honda head use rocker arms. Yamaha does not. I'm not sure if this is the problem, though.

• SoCal450

Posted March 22, 2004 - 02:00 PM

I don't believe anyone knows the exact cause of the valve issues that appear to be plaguing the CRF's. I know these forums are only a small cross-section of all the bikes out there, but there are way to many people on the CRF board experiencing this problem and spending major $$$ to address it for it to be a random problem. What's really funny is that I have had somewhat heated conversations with CRF owners that have apparently convinced themselves that replacing an entire valve set and springs on a 6 month old bike is "acceptable" maintainence and "the price you have to pay to ride the best machine out there". uh........OK? The real bummer is that the CRF is a great bike when it's working 100%. I actually prefer it's mellower motor (vs. the YZF) that makes the bike easier for me to ride. But, I can in no way rationalize spending $6k + on a bike that could potentially have such a major design flaw that would require spending a ton $$$ for aftermarket valves, new springs, machining the head........What's crazy is that some of those poor people keep having the problem reoccur even with the new parts. You would think that by production year #3 they would work those bugs out in the factory. Makes you wonder if it has something to do with the unicam design they are using? :)

• jwriott

Posted March 23, 2004 - 06:06 AM

Does anyone know if the new 450 will be lighter? I'm at the point of switching back to a 2-stroke for a while until they come down in weight.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 23, 2004 - 07:19 AM

I think the off road 450's will plateau at 240 lbs. dry and more top heavy weight than a 2 smoke.
Look how long the 250 2 strokes have leveled off at 220 lbs. They weighed that much back in the 80's.
:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.