Master link versus riveted

4 replies to this topic
  • Jim_Patterson

Posted March 21, 2004 - 09:45 AM

Three of us have WR's and all have riveted chains from the factory build. Two of the bikes need new chains and sprockets. How many of you carry around links, and a chain section, and a chain break for repairs. Also how well do the chain breaks work. We all woods ride and wonder if it would be better to have all these items to support a riveted chain, or for that matter a chain with a master link.

• captain_S

Posted March 21, 2004 - 11:06 AM

A split link is well up to the job for a dirt bike,just make sure you carry a spare.Rivet type links are a must for streetbikes though! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted March 21, 2004 - 11:08 AM

Stock chains rocks! :)
Keep the chain in servise limit and you will never have any problems with it. You do not need to cary anything, chanses to brake DID Xring chain are smaller smaler that to brake your trany

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 21, 2004 - 11:28 AM

I just keep a spare master in my pack and if the chain goes I send someone back to the pits to get my 114 link chain. I just keep a spare that is the right length. If it were a multiple day ride someone may have to carry that heavy chain. I have never had one break. I have had the master clip wear to nothing. :)

• KentuckyWR

Posted March 22, 2004 - 07:09 AM

Buy a portable chain breaker too . . . if you have all the stuff Indy carries plus the chain breaker you can fix any chain related issue!!

Be prepared!!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.