Considering a 2016 crf450x, help please

Hi guys,

My boyfriend is considering buying a new 2016 crf450x, for trail riding and the occasional enduro/ rally.

At any rate, been reading up on here and other sites, hearing a lot of horror stories about valve problems, people saying the bike is outdated etc. Bit concerned about the low oil capacity too.

Would you guys recommend buying one? Are these stories true? Have there been any model changes over the years?

Any advice/ help would be appreciated, thanks

The X is a high speed cross country master.

If the racing and riding he prefers is fast, long, and hard, there is no better bike.

...but if it's twisty terrain, or very slow going, the X is more of a handful than other bikes.

The Honda is over-built, and can be made into a fire-breathing monster.

Unlike the new FI bikes, Carb'd bikes make more power sooner, and can be made to have much more throttle response...but require a lot of maintenence through the years, and sometime re-jetting.

The valve issue is over-hyped, and is no more a big deal than problems other bikes have (KTM spokes, brakes, forks, Suzuki castings, Kawasaki chain guides, etc).

The Honda valve problems of the past are now gone.

All bikes have issues.

The low oil capacity is now typical. Less than 700cc for the motor, and even the motor and transmission (Yamaha, KTM) in some models.

I would say that the CRF450X is an incredible starting point for a desert racer, but I would also say that the 450X comes less 'dialed in' than any other motorcycle currently offered.

This was not the case in 2005, but it is in 2016.

I would look at BETA for slower/tighter riding, Yamaha for all around riding, and Honda for high speed desert. 

KTM is good too now, especially since all the upgrades done in 2016....but they do not last as long as the japanese bikes. Much lighter mean less durability, in the long run.

• Like 3

Couple of things to add:

1. The horror stories on valves stem from years ago when there was a problem with the valve seat material.  That was changed back in '06.  Mind you, this is classed as a competion / racing bike and with that, performance was the priority, not longevity.   A lot of people buy these bikes thinking it's going to be like a Honda XR that just keeps on going forever and are very disappointed when it doesn't.   

What will kill the valves the fastest is riding on the rev limiter, which is 12, 500 rpms.   At that point, the valves are opening and closing 105 times a second.   There's not much that will stand up to that kind of pounding for any length of time.   And this is not out of line with other brands.   I once read where Ryan Villipoto got about 5 hours on a set of valves when practicing.

Of course, most of us don't ride like that.  So with that seat change and your typical average joe racer,  the stock valves get approx 100 hours.   When they wear out, going with stainless steel valves gets you 300+.   Little less performance, but most don't notice.

With trail rides and an occasional race, I don't think valves are a big worry.

2. <<people saying the bike is outdated etc>>

We it is an it isn't.   It has remained largely un-changed since 2006, and virtually unchanged since '09.   But even so, it's remained competitive with things like Baja.  As krannie said, it's an excellent desert racer.   But no changes can be a good thing too: with little change, there is a multitude of aftermarket parts available as well as a large pool of used parts

3. <<My boyfriend is considering buying a new 2016 crf450x>>

Well first thing is, it is a heavy bike (264 lbs wet).  You can mitigate that somewhat, but stock it is the heaviest of the bunch in this class.   Second thing is, it is a race bike.  As Krannie said, means more maintenance and also means always riding off road (your darn lucky if you can get one street titled as the certificate of origin reads "Off-road use only").

I live in NY and it's becoming more and more difficult to find places to ride or events that are not totally closed course.

Having something that can be street titled can give you a lot more options on where to ride depending on where you live.  Something to think about at least.

I have both a 250 and 450.   I love the 250 for the woods, but if it opens up in the slightest, the 450 wins hands down.

Jim.

Hi guys,

My boyfriend is considering buying a new 2016 crf450x, for trail riding and the occasional enduro/ rally.

At any rate, been reading up on here and other sites, hearing a lot of horror stories about valve problems, people saying the bike is outdated etc. Bit concerned about the low oil capacity too.

Would you guys recommend buying one? Are these stories true? Have there been any model changes over the years?

Any advice/ help would be appreciated, thanks

Lots of other bikes to consider, but IMO, the Honda CRF450X is a great bike. Valve issue fixed once in 06 and I believe once more in 09. 

I like overbuilt and this bike seems that way compared to the CRF450R where materials science was employed to lighten everything to make it more MX competitive. The 09+ R likes to snap kickstarters right in half due to the overall poor casting and the fact that it's located precariously close to the exhaust header causing it to be constantly heated and cooled which fatigues the metal and makes it susceptible to early failure. 

The X is a high speed cross country master.

If the racing and riding he prefers is fast, long, and hard, there is no better bike.

...but if it's twisty terrain, or very slow going, the X is more of a handful than other bikes.

The Honda is over-built, and can be made into a fire-breathing monster.

Unlike the new FI bikes, Carb'd bikes make more power sooner, and can be made to have much more throttle response...but require a lot of maintenence through the years, and sometime re-jetting.

The valve issue is over-hyped, and is no more a big deal than problems other bikes have (KTM spokes, brakes, forks, Suzuki castings, Kawasaki chain guides, etc).

The Honda valve problems of the past are now gone.

All bikes have issues.

The low oil capacity is now typical. Less than 700cc for the motor, and even the motor and transmission (Yamaha, KTM) in some models.

I would say that the CRF450X is an incredible starting point for a desert racer, but I would also say that the 450X comes less 'dialed in' than any other motorcycle currently offered.

This was not the case in 2005, but it is in 2016.

I would look at BETA for slower/tighter riding, Yamaha for all around riding, and Honda for high speed desert. 

KTM is good too now, especially since all the upgrades done in 2016....but they do not last as long as the japanese bikes. Much lighter mean less durability, in the long run.

Thanks for the great reply. Having read the replies he's still pretty much set on the x. He doesn't like the look of the beta, KTM, or Yamaha and would prefer a carbed bike. He's a good mechanic, and doesn't mind changing the oil every ride and cleaning the air filter etc. Just not an engine rebuild every 5 minutes, especially when buying a new motorcycle. He wants a bike he can tractor round on but with power to get up and go. And a bike that's fairly robust. We don't have deserts round here though, so your post did give us some pause, thank you for that.

Couple of things to add:

1. The horror stories on valves stem from years ago when there was a problem with the valve seat material.  That was changed back in '06.  Mind you, this is classed as a competion / racing bike and with that, performance was the priority, not longevity.   A lot of people buy these bikes thinking it's going to be like a Honda XR that just keeps on going forever and are very disappointed when it doesn't.   

What will kill the valves the fastest is riding on the rev limiter, which is 12, 500 rpms.   At that point, the valves are opening and closing 105 times a second.   There's not much that will stand up to that kind of pounding for any length of time.   And this is not out of line with other brands.   I once read where Ryan Villipoto got about 5 hours on a set of valves when practicing.

Of course, most of us don't ride like that.  So with that seat change and your typical average joe racer,  the stock valves get approx 100 hours.   When they wear out, going with stainless steel valves gets you 300+.   Little less performance, but most don't notice.

With trail rides and an occasional race, I don't think valves are a big worry.

2. <<people saying the bike is outdated etc>>

We it is an it isn't.   It has remained largely un-changed since 2006, and virtually unchanged since '09.   But even so, it's remained competitive with things like Baja.  As krannie said, it's an excellent desert racer.   But no changes can be a good thing too: with little change, there is a multitude of aftermarket parts available as well as a large pool of used parts

3. <<My boyfriend is considering buying a new 2016 crf450x>>

Well first thing is, it is a heavy bike (264 lbs wet).  You can mitigate that somewhat, but stock it is the heaviest of the bunch in this class.   Second thing is, it is a race bike.  As Krannie said, means more maintenance and also means always riding off road (your darn lucky if you can get one street titled as the certificate of origin reads "Off-road use only").

I live in NY and it's becoming more and more difficult to find places to ride or events that are not totally closed course.

Having something that can be street titled can give you a lot more options on where to ride depending on where you live.  Something to think about at least.

I have both a 250 and 450.   I love the 250 for the woods, but if it opens up in the slightest, the 450 wins hands down.

Jim.

Thanks Jim. You can get them road registered in the UK no problem. He likes that the bike is a tried and tested machine, and does the bike really feel that much heavier than the other bikes in the class? Sounds like a bit of mechanical sympathy will go a long way too whilst riding, thanks for the info regarding the valves too.

Or suggest to him that he should wait and a CRF450RX and have him post his thoughts

I think he'd rather a bike with a carb and a tried and tested motor.

Lots of other bikes to consider, but IMO, the Honda CRF450X is a great bike. Valve issue fixed once in 06 and I believe once more in 09. 

I like overbuilt and this bike seems that way compared to the CRF450R where materials science was employed to lighten everything to make it more MX competitive. The 09+ R likes to snap kickstarters right in half due to the overall poor casting and the fact that it's located precariously close to the exhaust header causing it to be constantly heated and cooled which fatigues the metal and makes it susceptible to early failure.

Thanks for the info. We've thought about similar bikes in the class but I think the x ticks a lot of boxes, he's read the thread and really appreciates all the replies, thank you

We don't have deserts round here though, so your post did give us some pause, thank you for that.

I don't ride any deserts either. Almost all slow single track following around guys with trials bikes. slowly. I've done some mods to help with this and I think it makes a great slow bike too. Added bonus is that if I want/need to accelerate quickly it's got all that and more. I've kept the stock gearing since I don't use fifth or even fourth gear much. 

• Like 1

I came off an RM250 that I essentially converted to a n RMX250. The bike can be handful on tighter stuff, but it's solid. Change the titanium valves to stainless when they wear out, then just check their specs every so often. Change the oil, clean the air filter, lube the chain. In my opinion, it's the best compromise of KTM performance and XR maintenance.

• Like 2

XR650R. Best bike ever made. Very fast last for ever and great for desert.

You can't buy a new one over here, probably a tad heavy for what we want to ride, thanks though.

I don't ride any deserts either. Almost all slow single track following around guys with trials bikes. slowly. I've done some mods to help with this and I think it makes a great slow bike too. Added bonus is that if I want/need to accelerate quickly it's got all that and more. I've kept the stock gearing since I don't use fifth or even fourth gear much.

Thanks, what sort of mods? We've got land we can ride on local to us, its a mix of open fields and some tight tracks and a few trials style places,streams, rocks, roots etc but places you can open up too.

In the UK? Dungeness Kent? Not much western style desert in England!

Must be awesome to ride in deserts, you cant even ride on Beaches over here unless its an organised event.

I came off an RM250 that I essentially converted to a n RMX250. The bike can be handful on tighter stuff, but it's solid. Change the titanium valves to stainless when they wear out, then just check their specs every so often. Change the oil, clean the air filter, lube the chain. In my opinion, it's the best compromise of KTM performance and XR maintenance.

Thanks for your input. He's about 6 foot 3, works in construction, is a trained mechanic, plenty of strength. I'm sure he could learn to ride the 450. We've been researching, and what he wants is plenty of power and 4 stroke. I know there are a lot of choices out there, with the x our main concern was the valves/reliability, this thread has answered a few questions thanks guys

Thanks, what sort of mods? We've got land we can ride on local to us, its a mix of open fields and some tight tracks and a few trials style places,streams, rocks, roots etc but places you can open up too.

Click on "view garage" to see the list. Top right corner. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

maybe I missed something but the rm and Rmx are 2 stroke and don't have valves. Do you mean a Rmz made into a enduro bike?
  • Like 1

Yep, that was my interpretation after some thought. I really like the 450X for its intended use but find it very top heavy in tight trails. A couple friends have one and it can be tiring after a full day in the tight stuff. Concerning the valves, with careful air filter maintenance they have not had any abnormal wear. And the X is great as a D/S bike.

• Like 1

I really like the 450X for its intended use but find it very top heavy in tight trails. A couple friends have one and it can be tiring after a full day in the tight stuff. 

I can attest to that having both a 250 and 450.   only a 14lbs difference between the two, but it's a difference of night and day in the woods.

Jim.

• Like 1