Won't idle in gear. Please Help!

9 replies to this topic
  • yzf_virgin

Posted April 08, 2002 - 03:57 AM

Went to the race this weekend and when I got there my 400 started fine and idled fine. Fine, but when I took off and slowed to turn or stop, it stalled. I'm 90% sure it is a fuel problem. I have never had it do this before. It ran great the day before. Any more info you need? Thanks in advance for the help.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 08, 2002 - 05:07 AM

Are you sure its not the clutch dragging. Put it in first and kick it over. If lots of resistance and bike starts to pull by 2nd kick, it might be the clutch. There was a thread some time ago about a washer under the clutch actuator.
mwc

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 08, 2002 - 08:17 AM

My bet is a warped steel in the clutch. Carbs dont just go bad. It may be dirty, but I doubt it would get dirty and go south over night. Id check the clutch

• yzf_virgin

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:15 PM

Thanks but I don't think it's the clutch. It starts fine in first gear. Anything else?

Posted April 08, 2002 - 09:37 PM

you mentioned that you were turning. My best advise if you know your cluth is in good operating condition is to check the routing of your cables. It may be possible that when you turn your hanlebars your de-compression cable is being pulled. When I first read your post I thought cluth problem, but if your sure there is no problem there examine your cable. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf_virgin

Posted April 08, 2002 - 10:32 AM

Well it is not a clutch or decomp problem. It is even stalling just as I start to take off in first, unless I have it revved to the heavens. In which case I have even heard a backfire. Does this help? Thanks again for the help, and keep it coming.

• yzf_virgin

Posted April 08, 2002 - 03:41 PM

bump. Sorry guys, I'm desperate.

• Boit

Posted April 09, 2002 - 09:07 PM

Will it idle now? How does it run when you first start it? Aside from mechanical issues, I would look first at the pilot circuit of the carb. If a small piece of debris gets sucked into the pilot jet or pilot air jet, the idle goes south. You would normally experience loud popping(backfiring) from the exhaust during decel if this is the case.

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 10, 2002 - 12:46 AM

When all else fails, check the valves. If they're too tight and one or more hangs open then it will kill your idle and bottom end. It's strange that it would run so good one day and bad the next, but if you've run out of stuff to check then this is worth looking into. Hope this helps..

• yzf_virgin

Posted April 10, 2002 - 11:23 AM

Thanks alot guys. This gives me some new things to look at. But actually I just rode it up the street and it did great. Hopefully it was just something in a jet that got blown out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.