sand

11 replies to this topic
  • ltrosson

Posted April 07, 2002 - 08:14 PM

Okay guys, lets try it this way. Got to ride my 02-426 good for the first time today. I have not ridden in about 18 years (rm400). I rode terrible in the sand front was side to side, yeah I was slow, so what do I need to do to improve. Just nail it and lift the front tire through the sand?

• twej

Posted April 07, 2002 - 09:52 PM

un-weight the front end by sliding back in the seat or lean back a bit if your standing.
Welcome back to riding

Wej

• ltrosson

Posted April 07, 2002 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, the bike still looks good, so I don't want to dump it just yet, okay in reality, it takes me longer to get up.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 08, 2002 - 12:14 AM

The stock tires aren't the best for sand, especially the front. Changing to a soft terrain tire would probably help a lot too, at least with the turns.

• SMP

Posted April 08, 2002 - 12:17 AM

Are you using a paddle tire? If not, it will help keep the front tire from digging in so much. There is also a front sand tire available that will help carve turns better.

• kfrosty

Posted April 08, 2002 - 05:51 AM

I've had the same problem in sand. Well, actually sand that has become extremely dry and powdery. The main problem is in sand that is so powdery that burns don't form but more so 1 to 2" tracks all through it. The front skates and digs in really bad. I've checked with others came to the conclusion it may have something to do with the weight of the bike. However, on the same track with some water and the sand has moisture, look out because the bike is awesome.

If you are trying to make a decision about the bike I would recommend riding the bike on another surface starting with.

My 2 cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kfrosty

Posted April 08, 2002 - 05:55 AM

FYI. Just came to mind, here is a picture I had taken at a track when the sand had moisture.

ftp://ftp.n-sv.com/riding/kris2.jpg

But if the same track goes without being prepped and gets dried. I almost need training wheels. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 08, 2002 - 08:15 AM

thumpers are hard to ride in the sand regardless. Ya just gotta stay on the gas pretty much. Problem is, when ya back out of the throttle, the compression of the engine actually forces the front wheel into the ground. If the ground isnt hard enough, the front wheel will plow like crazy. I know of which I speak. Ive been riding a CR500 in Glamis dunes for 10+ years. It was an education when I took the thumper out. Spent a lot of time getting up. What I found was to simply pull in the clutch when backin off the gas for a turn, basically letting the motor freewheel like a two stroke.

• bbeakley

Posted April 08, 2002 - 03:41 PM

Are you riding in dunes or just sandy riding areas? I ride in the really dry desert and was really frustrated with the way my front washed out in sandy corners. I've since bought a Dunlop 756 tire and although it still pushes, it's far more predictable which gives me the confidence that I'll still be on two wheels when I exit the corner.

It also really helps to slide up on the seat and put some weight on the front tire during corners. I'd ridden in sandy stuff so long that I got used to staying back so the back tire would have some bite, but that kills your cornering ability.

• Max_Powers

Posted April 08, 2002 - 05:07 PM

Be paitent,if you havent been riding in 18 years,it might take you a few times riding your new bike to get into the groove.Did you have a 78 or 79 RM400?

• ltrosson

Posted April 09, 2002 - 09:04 PM

I know this sounds bad but I do not remember if the rm400 was a 78 or 79, but I do know the yz sits a whole lot taller. But it has been alot of fun trying to learn to ride again. I am real sore and stiff after a good ride. Wife says I am to old, who cares.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 09, 2002 - 12:01 PM

Man you rode the rm400 what year, the first year that ball buster was released hurt alot of people.

It was natorious for swapping ends in a straight, the thing had gobs of HP but handled like a sherman tank.

As far as riding sand, I stay away from it, if I wanted to destory my bike I would bring to the nearest sand blaster and let em rip at it. Pismo Beach Noway Hoser. Sand is the bikes worst enima :)

But as noted above keep the gas on, front wheel skipping the sand, ass back on the seat while standing up. But dont take my advice I hate the sand and avoid it at all cost

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.