fork nick

3 replies to this topic
  • nvrlift

Posted April 07, 2002 - 07:44 PM

just noticed a small nick from a rock in one of my fork tubes that is causing a small amount of oil to leak past the fork seals. Is there a good way to fix the fork tube? if so please help...

• yamaha.dude

Posted April 07, 2002 - 10:57 PM

If you have an oilstone or a fine diamond sharpeing stone, then just carefully rub it until it has smoothed out... failing that, 1600 or 2000 grit wet & dry paper and a flat steel "rubbing block" to keep you flat and smooth...use a little oil to help to cut it away...

You might want to finish off with a felt pad on a dremel to polish it, but not really necessary if you limit your grinding to a minimum...

HTH

David

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: yamaha.dude ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • txthumper

Posted April 08, 2002 - 03:39 AM

i nicked one of my tubes last year on a 250..i took my forks apart and carried the tube to a machine shop..he put it on a lathe and polished it..cost me 20 bucks..well worth it, compared to sending it off and having it replated

JR

• wnut426

Posted April 08, 2002 - 08:49 PM

it is better to go with an oil stone rather than the lath idea as in the lath u r polishing the hole way round the tube and takeing the crome but with an oil stone u can just polish the nick instead off the hole bit off the tube ,but iff the nick is real bad i know u can get your tubes recromed but im not sure how much or where in the states can do it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.