Yeah most of the 250F's are wore out at that range.

Out of the YZ 125 and YZ 250F which would be best for my riding and size? If I got the YZ 125 I could upgrade the bore after a bit if needed but would I need that upgrade?

Kick only four strokes even when fuel injected aren't so fun when trail riding unless you never stop and start as a group often. The yz125 is simple to kickstart so no worry there.

It really comes down to preference. Ride aggressive 100% of the time or are srsly concerned abt weight? Yz125. Like compression braking and better overall traction and less fuel consumption? 250F.

The big bore kit would be useful once you know for certain that a 250F is out of the picture and you simply want more torque and easier riding from your bike. Bone stock it will have all the power you need.

• Like 3

Don't even think about a CRF 250X.They are a tall tank of a bike, heavy as hell.

I'm still thinking YZ 125.

The 167cc kit will turn that bike into a ST animal. They don't bore the125cc  jug out, they supply a new one with the kit.

If you want a light bike, I don't see any other valid option other than a 125 2T. And you have a Yamaha dealer local to you.

Short riders are the best riders. When us taller blokes move, our weight upsets the balance of the bike. Look at Moto GP,a ll short, same as Speedway GP. And last but not least, RC GOAT. He wasn't exactly on the tall side. J-Mart, A-Mart etc, etc, etc.

It's an advantage, You're lucky.

Edited by FTB

Did you forget that the OP is 5'3" and 115 lbs? Yeah, sometimes it IS too much bike.

No disrespect meant, but I see it on here a lot. As threads progress, people start posting out of their own experience and forget about the OP who asked the original question. I'm 5'3", own a 250 2t and would never recommend it to another shorty, unless he were like me and knew he could handle it. They're at my limit, but if I were 115 lbs, I'd never try it.

Yeah, yz250 is perfect traily for me at 6' and 225 as a power lifter. I can't imagine what a fire cracker it would be at OP size. Geezus.
  • Like 3

Even with a big bore 144 or 167cc kit, a YZ125 still has:

-close ratio gearbox

-limited fuel capacity / range

-no provision for lights

-overly stiff suspension for general off-roading

there's more to a bike than having a powerful engine.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 4

I'm only 140lbs and 5'6 a  2004 yz250 was my first dirt bike, it's possible but I do have a lot of experience with sport ATV's (I think helped a lot) I was looking for a 125 but got a deal on the 250. I really think I would enjoy riding more if I had the 125,  I still want one but no way I'm selling my 250 to get one ?

don't get me wrong though it was a huge learning curve, in fact i'm still learning... just get a 125 though I don't think anyone would regret buying a 125.   

P.S.     I'm 5'6 and at time's think i'm to short for the bike,.

Edited by yz250474
  • Like 2

Even with a big bore 144 or 167cc kit, a YZ125 still has:

-close ratio gearbox

-limited fuel capacity / range

-no provision for lights

-overly stiff suspension for general off-roading

there's more to a bike than having a powerful engine.

Close ratio gear box is good for ST and does okay for hill climbing. Anything that is 5th gear flatout should be used as a chance to rest before the next ST or hill climb. Anyone can go fast on open tracks. There's no challenge in it. If that's the riding you want to do, get a dual sport adventure bike.

On a 125 a close ratio box just helps to keep the bike in the meat of the power and on the boil.

Less fuel = less weight, something the OP is after. If economy is a problem, get a Lectron carby. In the woods he will get around 3 hours of ride time with the OEM carb. A Lectron carby will streatch that out to 4 hours and add performance.

A 144 runs leaner than a 125.

Lights add weight. More than you'd think. I only put lights on when I have to have them on for legal reasons. That's a LED light kit that connects to the coil lead. No problem at all. Comes off and goes on in 5 minutes.

I use MX suspension in the woods. An offroad setup feels to soft and washy. Soft suspension just means having to get off the throttle for the larger hits. Not a good thing when attempting a hill climb.

"There's more to a bike than having a powerful engine"?  Aren't the bikes you suggested larger in CC's, HP, and weight? 

The YZ125 will be a perfect bike to transition to after the TTR. The OP will have more fun on the 125 than the YZ 250X. When he is ready for a 250 2T, the transition will be easy. He will be confident on the 125. That makes rider progression much easier and faster.

I have a new 250F, a 144cc 2T, and a 250cc 2T. All MX bikes setup for woods. I'm faster on the 144 than the other bikes, my riding buddies all agree. And it is my favorite bike to ride. If I did any racing, it would be on the 144.

I've had many Beta's, 2 and 4T, a CRF250X, CRF450R, KX450F, KX250F, RMX 250, KTM 200exc, WR 200, and the list goes on. I always end up back on MX bikes.They're lighter and more fun.

Edited by FTB
  • Like 3

All in all, it very much depends on the OP's personal usage.

Where I ride, in no way a YZ125 (no matter the increased cc's) would be better suited than a trail or enduro specific bike.

In technical / rocky terrain, even my CRF250X is still to much of a race bike at times, can't imagine my YZ would do any better.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Close ratio gear box is good for ST and does okay for hill climbing. Anything that is 5th gear flatout should be used as a chance to rest before the next ST or hill climb. Anyone can go fast on open tracks. There's no challenge in it. If that's the riding you want to do, get a dual sport adventure bike.

On a 125 a close ratio box just helps to keep the bike in the meat of the power and on the boil.

Less fuel = less weight, something the OP is after. If economy is a problem, get a Lectron carby. In the woods he will get around 3 hours of ride time with the OEM carb. A Lectron carby will streatch that out to 4 hours and add performance.

A 144 runs leaner than a 125.

Lights add weight. More than you'd think. I only put lights on when I have to have them on for legal reasons. That's a LED light kit that connects to the coil lead. No problem at all. Comes off and goes on in 5 minutes.

I use MX suspension in the woods. An offroad setup feels to soft and washy. Soft suspension just means having to get off the throttle for the larger hits. Not a good thing when attempting a hill climb.

"There's more to a bike than having a powerful engine"?  Aren't the bikes you suggested larger in CC's, HP, and weight? 

The YZ125 will be a perfect bike to transition to after the TTR. The OP will have more fun on the 125 than the YZ 250X. When he is ready for a 250 2T, the transition will be easy. He will be confident on the 125. That makes rider progression much easier and faster.

I have a new 250F, a 144cc 2T, and a 250cc 2T. All MX bikes setup for woods. I'm faster on the 144 than the other bikes, my riding buddies all agree. And it is my favorite bike to ride. If I did any racing, it would be on the 144.

I've had many Beta's, 2 and 4T, a CRF250X, CRF450R, KX450F, KX250F, RMX 250, KTM 200exc, WR 200, and the list goes on. I always end up back on MX bikes.They're lighter and more fun.

The is the exact opposite of what I want in a trail bike. Luckily we have choices. :banana:

• Like 1

As far as power goes, I suggest a 250f. They can handle rocky areas just fine. The only issue would be finding one that fits your height and weight. I remember being 5'4 and hardly fitting on my yz125 (I had just upgraded from a ttr125). Luckily you can shave down the seat. Maybe get a lowering link for the suspension. Or just always use a curb or rock when you stop like I did.

• Like 1

All in all, it very much depends on the OP's personal usage.

Where I ride, in no way a YZ125 (no matter the increased cc's) would be better suited than a trail or enduro specific bike.

In technical / rocky terrain, even my CRF250X is still to much of a race bike at times, can't imagine my YZ would do any better.

I rode my CRF250X 3 times and sold it to get a 125. We ride all types of stuff.

Edited by FTB

1) Close ratio gear box is good for ST and does okay for hill climbing. On a 125 a close ratio box just helps to keep the bike in the meat of the power and on the boil.

2) In the woods he will get around 3 hours of ride time with the OEM carb...

3) A 144 runs leaner than a 125.

4) Soft suspension just means having to get off the throttle for the larger hits. Not a good thing when attempting a hill climb.

5) The OP will have more fun on the 125 than the YZ 250X.

1) Still not getting the point of slow, technical stuff.

2) nope

3) nope. Any carbed bike will only run lean if you're too lazy too address the jetting.

4) nope. You've got it backwards.

5) That is subjective, and therefore a moot point.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur
  • Like 1

Kick only four strokes even when fuel injected aren't so fun when trail riding unless you never stop and start as a group often. The yz125 is simple to kickstart so no worry there.

It really comes down to preference. Ride aggressive 100% of the time or are srsly concerned abt weight? Yz125. Like compression braking and better overall traction and less fuel consumption? 250F.

The big bore kit would be useful once you know for certain that a 250F is out of the picture and you simply want more torque and easier riding from your bike. Bone stock it will have all the power you need.

I enjoy the compression braking from the TTR but I could adjust without it, better fuel consumption and traction sound awesome, the 250F kick worries me a little but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem and I know a lot of people have said the 125 is a breeze to kick which makes me lean that way a bit. I don't kick my buddies Husky 430 now but that's entirely different then a 250F.

I'm not nearly as aggressive as I use to be but I'm still on the mend from an injury that left some lasting effects.

I can't flatfoot with my TTR and the Husky 430 I can't even tiptoe lol so any full sized bike is gonna be that way or worse but I've been riding without being able to fully touch the ground for years so that doesn't bother me.

Will I be able to get the tire up easily on the 250F? That's my main worry with going with a 4T, I admit I haven't rode any of the racing 4T's though and I imagine they're worlds different then what I've been riding.

Edited by Ripley

I enjoy the compression braking from the TTR but I could adjust without it, better fuel consumption and traction sound awesome, the 250F kick worries me a little but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem and I know a lot of people have said the 125 is a breeze to kick which makes me lean that way a bit. I don't kick my buddies Husky 430 now but that's entirely different then a 250F.

I'm not nearly as aggressive as I use to be but I'm still on the mend from an injury that left some lasting effects.

I can't flatfoot with my TTR and the Husky 430 I can't even tiptoe lol so any full sized bike is gonna be that way or worse but I've been riding without being able to fully touch the ground for years so that doesn't bother me.

Will I be able to get the tire up easily on the 250F? That's my main worry with going with a 4T, I admit I haven't rode any of the racing 4T's though and I imagine they're worlds different then what I've been riding.

At your weight I'm surprised the 230 won't lift the front wheel. Jetting mods, a pipe, and lighter springs might do it but then it's still heavy.

If you are ok with kicking then a mx 250F will have zero issue with lifting the front wheel. Even easier if you put a rekluse on it.

That had of been staged aka goon riding. Easy hill too. Lol tho. Unpacked silencer and crap jetting. If somebody wants to ride a 125 and properly there then just hold it wide open and adjust speed and traction with clutch. Or get a 450F and read the morning news on the way up. :busted:

That WAS painful to watch. He has no concept of momentum with that herky-jerky throttle application.  Sad....

• Like 2