fuel filter

4 replies to this topic
  • ltrosson

Posted April 07, 2002 - 07:20 PM

Okay guys, I never thought of a fuel filter, but that is why I read the post. No dealer close to me so if I go to a local store ( lawn mower, autzone etc..) what do I want to ask for??????
Thanks alot.

• Boit

Posted April 07, 2002 - 07:38 PM

I've always assumed that every 426 owner installed a fuel filter right away. Good thread, though. The one I installed as soon as I got my bike home is the 'Visi-view'(sp?). It's one of those rather small funnel shaped filter that has a clear outer plastic casing with what appears to be a bronze sponge type of filter material inside. It works very well at keeping the carb clean. Also, I installed a Pingel high-flow petcock to offset any flow restriction that might be caused by this filter. In my opinion, I think that you are right on target in thinking about keeping your fuel and carb internals clean. The pilot circuit has the smallest orifices that tend to clog quickly. By installing a good quality fuel filter, you reduce this risk.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted April 08, 2002 - 01:19 AM

I agree with with Boit. I installed the same type of filter between the tank and carb before I even put a tank of gas in mine. I've never upgraded the pet-cock though and have never had a problem with fuel starvation. This is a very simple part to add that may save some aggrevation later on.

• ltrosson

Posted April 08, 2002 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for the words of wisdom, can I find this type of filter at an auto parts stoe, and what about the upgrade on the petcock valve?

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 08, 2002 - 02:47 AM

Gal posted this yesterday I snap shoted the Yizzer of mine and the fuel filter setup
Side
Posted Image

Posted Image

Just ask for an inline filter, make sure it is steel mesh though the fiber breaks apart.

Also the type I installed is one of many designs there is a triangle shape that is very snug (I think Boit has the one I refer to).
Make sure that all ends (4 Ends) are clamped :)

You should be able to pick this filter up most any Auto store or something like it "Again Nor Fiber Steel Mesh)

If the Filter is installed correctly I.E. not above the petcock but below (Yes I have seen that)
gravity will do the rest, as far as flow goes rull of thumb is not to put inline a filter with the ID (Inner Diamater) smaller then the ID of your current Gas Line. Two reasons Flow of course and sngger fit to the filter

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.