- - - - -

98 wr400 carb

• Please sign in to reply

3 replies to this topic
  • marbil

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 07:40 PM

I am trying to help my son get his bike running properly, its a 1998 wr400, we have read a bunch of threads on the hesitation when accelerating, put all new AP parts in and it helped a lot, the gas was starting to go bad so I pulled the carb off and was cleaning it and decided to see how well the AP was performing, to my surprise the fuel shoots toward the air cleaner and not the engine, is this correct? seems like it should shoot toward the engine, any help would be great.

Bill

• Krannie McKranface
36,190 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:00 PM

I am trying to help my son get his bike running properly, its a 1998 wr400, we have read a bunch of threads on the hesitation when accelerating, put all new AP parts in and it helped a lot, the gas was starting to go bad so I pulled the carb off and was cleaning it and decided to see how well the AP was performing, to my surprise the fuel shoots toward the air cleaner and not the engine, is this correct? seems like it should shoot toward the engine, any help would be great.

Bill

That is not correct.

The fuel stream should shoot all the way into the head.

DO NOT start this motorcycle to you fix this for SEVERE chance of FIRE OR EXPLOSION

The apump nozzle on the carb is technically not replaceable, but it sounds like someone loosened it somehow, and now it's facing the wrong way...

• marbil

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 04:13 AM

That is not correct.

The fuel stream should shoot all the way into the head.

DO NOT start this motorcycle to you fix this for SEVERE chance of FIRE OR EXPLOSION

The apump nozzle on the carb is technically not replaceable, but it sounds like someone loosened it somehow, and now it's facing the wrong way...

Thank Krannie,

I have never seen this in any carb ever before be it bike, car or whatever, but I was confused because it shoots right at a bump that is cast into the carbs bore and it beaks up the stream, I guess that is just a coincident, the mechanic at the dealer said they have a screwdriver slot on the under side but he has never been able to turn one.  I thought about plugging it and drilling a new one but I think the screwdriver slot is there for initial aiming when they assemble them at the factory.

• marbil

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 08:12 AM

So I had some time this morning before I have to actually work, I was able to turn the jet so it squirts straight down the middle of the carb toward the engine, hopefully we can put the bike back together before the weekend and see if its fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.