- - - - -

xtrig preload adjuster anyone?

• Please sign in to reply

14 replies to this topic
  • kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:01 PM

curious as if to anyone here is using the xtrig preload adjuster and how they feel about it. my shocks lock nuts are on there way out on my 2011 yz450f and instead of going with the Honda or a billet assembly I don't mind spending the money on the xtrig if I hear good things about it. would much rather use a ratchet or impact to adjust my sag instead of a punch and hammer. my shocks lock nuts are almost seized so I'd much rather go this route when replacing if it gets good reviews

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:55 PM

I have it on my BETA 430RRRE and I like it.

Since sometimes I ride ultra-tight switchbacks, I can easily change the sag from 115 to 100 in about 20 seconds.

If you don't change your sag up and down during the season, there is no benefit to the Xtrig.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 06:13 PM

I have it on my BETA 430RRRE and I like it.

Since sometimes I ride ultra-tight switchbacks, I can easily change the sag from 115 to 100 in about 20 seconds.

If you don't change your sag up and down during the season, there is no benefit to the Xtrig.

yea, some of my riding buddies I know have never touched there sag, no matter what type of riding there doing. I'll admit I'm not very good at tweaking my suspension adjustments as much as I should, but I try to keep my sag adjusted and with my current bike I'm not able to turn the spring to adjust the preload, it's a punch and hammer ordeal. I'm thinking this might be the best route for me. I'm contemplating on sending my suspension out in the next few months, does anyone know if factory connection charges extra to install this unit? if so I'll just slap it on before I send it out.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 18, 2016 - 07:27 PM

You should be able to spin your spring if the rear wheel is off the ground and the lock nut is loose.

It might take gloves to get traction, but it should still work.

I squirt wd-40 at the bottom of the spring.

If you can't you probably have way to much preload on the spring, cause your spring is too soft...

• GHILL28

TT Addict

3,832 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Anyone use these on a '14+ YZ450F with an IMS tank?  Curious if they're still accessible with the larger tank.  Would also like to avoid having to use a hammer/punch.

They only turn by hand until the paint on the end wears off.

• Redman79

TT Member

43 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:11 PM

I'm interested in that as well. I tried finding one for my 250x and didn't have any luck. I was able to find them but wasn't able to confirm it would fit. Because they are from another country makes calling a little difficult. Maybe i didn't look hard enough but i would love to have one. Keep me posted.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 10:06 PM

You should be able to spin your spring if the rear wheel is off the ground and the lock nut is loose.
It might take gloves to get traction, but it should still work.
I squirt wd-40 at the bottom of the spring.
If you can't you probably have way to much preload on the spring, cause your spring is too soft...

I know this is how it "should" work, but it doesn't. get the bike up on the stand and spin the spring and the lock nut loose and the other stays put, and I don't have much preload on the bike at all. my free sag is 34mm but I still have the same issue no matter how loose I get it. hence why I'm looking into this solution.

Edited by kxfreak, October 18, 2016 - 10:08 PM.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 19, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Got an X-Trig adjuster given to me to evaluate quite a while back.  It's been great; no problems on my (mostly) '06.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 03:45 AM

well guys, I ordered up the xtrig adjuster, it should be here by Saturday or Monday. I'm dropping my suspension off to my local guru and just going to have him slap it on while he's rebuilding and revalving my suspension for me. he said he has also came across issues with the stock aluminum rings that when they get hit so hard with a punch and hammer they get slightly out of round which also causes them to hang up. I'll post pictures of the unit when it arrives and than I'll post some pictures of the unit after its installed and let you know how I feel about it. the way I see it is, the aftermarket rings are around $70, I didn't look into the stock crf rings although I'm sure they about half that. but I ended up getting mine brand new for $131 shipped to my door so if it works as it should it would be worth the small investment it costs. thanks for the input guys and I'll update when I receive it.

• mikedabike

TT Gold Member

1,435 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 05:13 PM

I jist put one of these on my 15. Nice piece. I use my bike for off road, mx and supermoto. I have found the stock valving very adaptable but prefer different preload settings. On my 11 I would just swap shocks. Hoping this lets me get away with quick preload and clicker adjustments.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted November 03, 2016 - 01:35 PM

hey guys, so after I bought my xtrig they ended up sending it somewhere else which was a pain because I was waiting for it so I could drop it off with my suspension. so I ended up dropping my suspension off yesterday and sure enough the xtrig showed up today, so I won't have it installed until I pick up my suspension next week but here's some pictures of the unit. seems like a well built piece. I still need to read through the manual, I see that the worm gear and thread unit come pre greased, does anyone know how you can service these units just for future reference. I couldn't imagine it working flawlessly for the life of the bike without proper greasing maintnence. here's a few pics though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1478208747001.jpg
  • 1478208841002.jpg
  • 1478208874212.jpg
  • 1478208904652.jpg

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 04, 2016 - 07:00 AM

I haven't looked into that, but I've been running mine for 3-4 years without doing anything to it.  To be fair, I don't use a pressure washer, and I don't ride in very much mud ever.  Just desert, mainly. 

I expect that the worm gear is accessible by removing the hex nut that holds it into the housing, and then "unscrewing" the gear from the ring.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 08:21 PM

here's the xtrig installed on the shock. I now understand what some suspension companies mean when they refuse to install these (I have read that in more than a few places). anyways my local suspension guy squeezed getting me finished today because I told him I'd like to pick up the parts (after being told they hadn't been touched yet earlier in the day) because I have a ride planned with a few buddies this weekened. anyways by the time I got there he was just getting ready to install the xtrig. even at the furthest thread up on the shock body, the xtrig still required 6mm preload to fit the shock collar on, not a big deal but could see how some companies would prefer not to install. I simply pulled the spring down a bit while he installed the collar. all is well, haven't installed everything yet but did test the xtrig with and without the spring installed and it sure seems heavenly. even though my previous lock rings marred up some of the thread the xtrig has a wide enough bite for it to not really affect operation. so far I'm happy with the purchase, I will check back after I install and set my sag tommarow. although the company xtrig should include detailed instructions for each model, the instructions they included were for a completely different style of shock (vertical nitrogen reservoir) while my '11 450f is horizontal, and the xtrig mechanism was a completely different style, it definitely helped to have an experienced hand point me in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1478923236243.jpg
  • 1478923282179.jpg

• mikedabike

TT Gold Member

1,435 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 11:26 PM

The 10-13 shock due to the horizontal reservoir has a much shorter thread area than other shocks.  I had zero installation problems on my 15.  Plenty of room on the threads to run 105mm of sag for MX and 90mm for supermoto with the same spring.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 03:35 AM

The 10-13 shock due to the horizontal reservoir has a much shorter thread area than other shocks. I had zero installation problems on my 15. Plenty of room on the threads to run 105mm of sag for MX and 90mm for supermoto with the same spring.

where I had the 8mm nut for adjusting the xtrig positioned in that picture didn't work, I was able to get another 3/4 of a turn out before locking it down. was at the track today and boy was it nice and convenient. I have enough space to run anywhere from about 112mm sag and less so it worked out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.