2012 shock fit 2007 wr450

• Please sign in to reply

8 replies to this topic
  • jentzschman

TT Bronze Member

312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:04 PM

I was doing some work on my bike today and it appears that my shock body threads are in bad shape.

I am looking into replace the shock body and rebuild the shock or simply buy a new fully assembled shock.

I was wondering if the shock form the 2012 will fit or what other year wr450's might fit?

Thank you for any advice. 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:45 PM

If you want the same shock 07-11 is the same.

• jentzschman

TT Bronze Member

312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 06:18 PM

If you want the same shock 07-11 is the same.

Thank you. I was finding the same info. Good to know I was on the right path. 

I do not necessarily care if its the same shoack, so long as it fits the same. If the 2012 (or any shock from 07 to preset) will fit, I am ok with that. I figure the new shocks, if they fit, would be better anyhow.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Thank you. I was finding the same info. Good to know I was on the right path. 

I do not necessarily care if its the same shoack, so long as it fits the same. If the 2012 (or any shock from 07 to preset) will fit, I am ok with that. I figure the new shocks, if they fit, would be better anyhow.

Not necessarily better. The rear shock on the 07-11 WR450's is pretty good. It has a shim stack similar to all the popular shocks. It's the forks that suck on those models. They use a spring instead of a shim stack. The spring sacks out and the fork dives through the travel to the harsher part of the travel. To correct it you need to put Race Tech gold valves or other base valve shim stacks in it.

• jentzschman

TT Bronze Member

312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Not necessarily better. The rear shock on the 07-11 WR450's is pretty good. It has a shim stack similar to all the popular shocks. It's the forks that suck on those models. They use a spring instead of a shim stack. The spring sacks out and the fork dives through the travel to the harsher part of the travel. To correct it you need to put Race Tech gold valves or other base valve shim stacks in it.

Awesome, thank you for your help.

Just to make things clear (for myself :) ) Any shock from 07-preset will fit?

I do need to revalue my forks. I have looked at the gold valves as it seems those are widely regarded one of the best options.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Awesome, thank you for your help.

Just to make things clear (for myself :) ) Any shock from 07-preset will fit?

I do need to revalue my forks. I have looked at the gold valves as it seems those are widely regarded one of the best options.

No I am not sure of the later models. If it was me I would look for a WR450 07-11 rear shock.

• Krannie McKranface
36,198 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 07:15 PM

The biggest mechanical difference between the .07-11 WR and YZ shocks is the shaft size and quality, plus of course the acutally tuning of the shock.

The WR shock shaft can and will bend.....once the upper bushing wears out.

• jentzschman

TT Bronze Member

312 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 07:17 PM

No I am not sure of the later models. If it was me I would look for a WR450 07-11 rear shock.

Awesome, thank you. I think I will stay within 07-11.

Thank you for all your help.

• foggy3061

TT Bronze Member

172 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:12 AM

I was doing some work on my bike today and it appears that my shock body threads are in bad shape.

I am looking into replace the shock body and rebuild the shock or simply buy a new fully assembled shock.

I was wondering if the shock form the 2012 will fit or what other year wr450's might fit?

Thank you for any advice. 

Yes, a 2012-2015 wr450f rear shock will fit on a 2007-2011 wr450f. I had 2012 wr450f forks and shock on my 2008 wr450f, they fitted and worked perfectly!

You have to use the rear shock upper mounting bushes from the 07-11 bike in the 12-15 rear shock and it'll bolt right up.

You will gain greater exhaust clearance too as the 2012-2015 rear shock has a needle type nitrogen filler rather than a schrader valve.

20150620_142747_zpsk6iis3h7.jpg

20150620_142754_zpshzbhmgkn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.