Foresthill-First Timer

I'm down to ride the area tomorrow. But not really a track guy. I have a 450x. Its big and heavy and I love it! If I still had one of the YZ's I sold I would love to try a track. If there is mud still I may pass over all and save the driving for when I have someone to annoy on the road. Thanks dude!

I sure want to move back to the East Sac area. I am not super happy with the East Bay.

Anyway I think I'll stick close to home and head to yawn.., Carnegie again.

i grew up riding around walnut creek, so I feel it Man.

Thinking about finally getting my ass up there. No riding buddy is up to ride this weekend. Is this the kind of place I can ride and be alright solo? Not looking to push limits. Just used to Carnegie or Metcalf type of safety. Really just an exploration type of venture. 

Did you make it up?  Not the best idea to ride solo, but just show up and ask around to join up.  That's what I did Saturday, and conditions are about 9/10 (one point off for pine needles on trail).  If you want to ride 5 and 6, stage at China Wall and meet up with some guys there. Trials tire works best up there.

After it gets snowed in, I'm looking forward to joining you East Bay dudes at Carnegie.

You toughed that out on your own.

Except for a trials meet on the 19 & 20th, I'm up for riding Stony anytime-just let me know.

I rode Indian Valley for the first time this year, lots of fun, let me know when you guys go there too.

Edited by StuInFH

Did you make it up?  Not the best idea to ride solo, but just show up and ask around to join up.  That's what I did Saturday, and conditions are about 9/10 (one point off for pine needles on trail).  If you want to ride 5 and 6, stage at China Wall and meet up with some guys there. Trials tire works best up there.

After it gets snowed in, I'm looking forward to joining you East Bay dudes at Carnegie.

Haven't been to Forest Hill yet. I rode Carnegie on Saturday. 

You toughed that out on your own.

Except for a trials meet on the 19 & 20th, I'm up for riding Stony anytime-just let me know.

I rode Indian Valley for the first time this year, lots of fun, let me know when you guys go there too.

I'll be camping and riding and shooting shit at Indian Valley Next week.

Edited by Gottadog

I've only ridden FH once about two years ago but I had an absolute blast. Don't remember what trails or where we went, but I've always wanted to go back. Have just never felt like driving all the way up there without having anyone to ride with. Georgetown was beautiful too, super lush foliage and running water everywhere. Would love to meet up with some people there some time and explore some more. Do they close it for an extended period of time in the winter depending on weather?

Yes, both get closed due to weather/winter-you can check FS websites and/or call their stations to get the latest.

You shouldn't worry about finding (or wait for) someone to ride with. There are more typers than riders on TT, so just go and join up with a group after some vetting on your and their part.

On T6 Saturday we saw two hikers.  On T5, we saw only one other group, unfortunately we met in a blind spot.

We cleared the down timber on Trail 6 last week, so all should be good there.  It would be great if some others could get out there to help cut back some of the brush in the open burn areas.  Otherwise, the trail is as sweet as always.

• Like 2

Thanks for doing that! I knew there was down trees and almost carried my saw, it was a nice to see it cleared. 

Yes, that overgrown brush needs to be cleared back. Its more of a safety issue in my opinion, with such a popular trail you want clear vision to avoid a collision. As we found out on our ride.

Yzwiley are you with RUTS club? Or just cleared it? I would be willing to help and could get a few people to come but don't want to step on any toes if RUTS is actively maintaining the trail.

It would be great if some others could get out there to help cut back some of the brush in the open burn areas.  Otherwise, the trail is as sweet as always.

Yeah, you're right. I've actually given that area some thought...That vegetation is pretty thick and weedlike, am guessing that my chainsaw might not be the right tool for the job, might need an industrial weedeater with a metal blade.. and being as it's weedish, will prolly grow back quickly.

Thoughts?

Edited by dyrtmon

Brushcutter!

I have a Husqvarna and depending on if I have the 4 blade metal - grass blade or an "circular saw" looking blade it just chews through an amazing amount of material.

Blackberry patch decimated in minutes. Saplings up to 6" in diameter cut in less then a minute.

Not sure if the tank is just small but fuel only last maybe 30 mins.

I think it breaks down into decently backpack able size.

If someone where to accidentally spill some roundup that they happen to have in there backpack. That might help the situation in the future.

Edited by 1.21GW

Yzwiley are you with RUTS club? Or just cleared it? I would be willing to help and could get a few people to come but don't want to step on any toes if RUTS is actively maintaining the trail.

No club affiliations.  Just a recreational rider like most everyone else.  I've never seen anyone from RUTS out there.  The last thing to worry about is stepping on anyone's toes.  Who would do that with volunteer efforts?

No club affiliations.  Just a recreational rider like most everyone else.  I've never seen anyone from RUTS out there.  The last thing to worry about is stepping on anyone's toes.  Who would do that with volunteer efforts?

I hear ya.......its just rare to have a trail sponsored so RUTS or FS could be planning projects on the trail, that's what I mean by that. 

StulnFH is local, he may want to chime in here.

Either way, sick trail and I could show up with a couple other guys and help machete it down if needed.

I hear ya.......its just rare to have a trail sponsored so RUTS or FS could be planning projects on the trail, that's what I mean by that.

StulnFH is local, he may want to chime in here.

Either way, sick trail and I could show up with a couple other guys and help machete it down if needed.

I think I meet Stu a couple weeks ago as we were unloading in the old elementary school parking lot. From talking to him I wasn't under the impression he knew much about what's going on out there. I say just go out and get it done.

Yeah, you're right. I've actually given that area some thought...That vegetation is pretty thick and weedlike, am guessing that my chainsaw might not be the right tool for the job, might need an industrial weedeater with a metal blade.. and being as it's weedish, will prolly grow back quickly.

Thoughts?

You don't need a chainsaw. Lopers would work fine.