2013 KTM 250SXF throttle harshness - any way to make the throttle more progressive?

Summary - recommended modifications to increase throttle progressiveness? (especially at low revs) - any advice appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I've just started riding a 250 SXF. I picked up a 2013 model and my buddy got his hands on a 2011. Having a blast getting a handle on these but the difference in feel between the bikes is quite obvious. 

My buddy's bike's previous owner was into enduro, but decided that the bike was a bit too much of an animal, but I believe he's done quite a bit to try tame it down. the throttle is very progressive through the range and the clutch is pretty easy to pull and gives nice modulation.

My bike came from a race kid, though I believe it's fairly stock other that an exhaust and 2 position map switch. The throttle comes on super hard at the slightest twist and the clutch is very heavy in comparison (although that may have a lot to do with a chunk of the lever currently missing making it rather short). These combined make it quite a bit harder to handle through rocky trails and climbing steep stuff as its so much easier to put too much power down.

Any idea what I can do to up the progressiveness of the throttle a tad?

We're both new to riding, but come from a good background in Downhill MTB, Skiing etc, so the skills are transferring pretty well, but the technical knowledge is very much lacking right now, so any advice would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks,

If i'm not mistaken the 250sxf comes with a spring clutch and not he soft plush easy to use washer clutch the 2 strokes and 450sx-f have witch is a bummer. my 13 350sx-f also has a very harsh clutch pull that i just hate. it's my biggest hate about the bike.

and as for the throttle I'm not to sure, I'm pretty use to it to i just make it work somehow ahah

how this helped

Cheers

If it has a 2 position map switch, try running the "soft" map of you haven't already. Not sure how the setup is on the 2013, but I know on the newer bikes you just unplug a wire.

Secondly, try tuning powervalve. A search on youtube for "how to tune a ktm/Husaberg powervalve" from slavens racing should turn up a good video. If you dont have the springs, you can buy them from slavens racing for under $10, and i believe the springs come with a wrench for adjusting the dolly screw as well. You'll most likely want to run the green spring (stiff). Extends the range of rpms over which the powervalve opens completely.

Third, the post above is referring to the G2 throttle tamer, or other brand (?, not sure if it's patented) anyway I've heard good things about these, it sounds like most people get then for big bore 4ts to smooth out the power delivery on the bottom end.

Fourth, look at the secondary gear ratio (engine and rear sprocket). These have a huge influence on how much torque is at the rear wheel. Consider getting a smaller rear or larger front, or both to get more range out of your gears and lessen the torque at the rear wheel.

Fifth, pipes can also have a good influence on the power delivery. Read around on these, but in general, if you get a pipe that is designed for top end power, the delivery should be smoother on the bottom and mid.

That's all I can think of for now...hope it helps!