- - - - -

2006 YZ450F Timing issue

• Please sign in to reply

16 replies to this topic
  • cruze77

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 12:39 PM

So my bike jumped timing due to a bad cam chain. I dont think that the valves hit the piston when it happened and the bike would kick over and have decent compression. I didn't verify with a compression gauge. 

I put a new cam chain in and when I slowly turn the motor over the piston comes into contact with the valves. Any suggestions on how to check if the cam gear slipped or do I need to pull the head and check the valves to see if there is any other damage? 

Thanks.

• dougla12

TT Member

27 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Do you have the timing set correctly? Exhaust cam dot at 9 and 12 and intake at 12 and 3?
What about the timing mark on the flywheel? When the timing marks are lined up, how do the cam lobes look? Should be pointing in the opposite
direction at about the same angle.
Any pictures?

The manual has specifications for the cam, you can use that to verify your cam.

Edited by dougla12, October 10, 2016 - 12:53 PM.

• cruze77

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 01:13 PM

The timing is set correctly. I will take pictures tonight.

Cam lobes are pointing opposite directions but not exactly opposite.

• cruze77

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 09:59 PM

1476165564381.jpg 1476165570472.jpg 1476165574408.jpg

• cruze77

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:05 PM

So from looking at my pictures and comparing to other pictures it looks like the intake cam gear has moved on the cam. What do you think?

• dougla12

TT Member

27 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:22 AM

To me. It looks like the exhaust cam lobe is out of place.
Check the manual, or even a quick search on here or Google would give u a better idea of how the cams supposed to look

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 05:10 AM

The exhaust cam is off on picture 1. However, the 2nd pic with the marks lined up, looks to be right on. Not sure how that is so, unless things were mover around between pictures. Where are the marks on the cams when the flywheel is at TDC?

• cruze77

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Sorry I meant exhaust cam and not intake. All the pictures were taken at the same time without moving anything.

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 09:15 AM

With he flywheel at TDC and both cams lined up per the manual. The lobes on both cams should be pointed how your intakes are pointed. At least on my bike they are pointed the same only opposite. If that makes sense. Intake at 10:00 & exhaust at 2:00
The, I don't know why my phone replaces "the" with "he" drives me nuts.

• cruze77

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the help. Is there a way to tell if the cam gear moved on the shaft? 

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 10:30 AM

I have no idea on that one. I've never seen that happen but it is entirely possible I guess. Everything else looks spot on for timing, it is only those exhaust lobes are not in the correct position. The only explanation is that the shaft has rotated inside the gear. I have an old exhaust cam that is in great shape from an '07 I'll look at tonight.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,245 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 11, 2016 - 11:17 AM

So from looking at my pictures and comparing to other pictures it looks like the intake cam gear has moved on the cam. What do you think?

It's definitely not right.

• notoriousE-R-I-C

TT Platinum Member

1,702 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 11, 2016 - 04:23 PM

Intake cam gear spun. Look at the kx250f section theres a write up on a press off, retime, repress sprocket
10 and 2 lobes
Either this or buy new cams/ intake cam
And thats from a cell phone pic, they could both be spun. Its not in front of me but this is it im 99% if your at tdc on flywheel

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 06:29 PM

After looking at my old cam, yours has definitely spun inside the gear somehow. IMG_1476239299.320763.jpg
The lobes on my cam line up with the post on he front of the cam. From the looks of yours, it's off by a tooth or 2

• billygildark5007

TT Silver Member

504 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 06:40 PM

+1 on that the exhaust cam gear has spun on its shaft.
As long as valves didn't hit the piston (which is likely to happen when it slipped) you should be fine after you turned it by hand and felt that.
You would need to remove the top end for inspection to confirm.
And I don't believe you should try reinstalling that cam gear and spot welding. A new cam should be on order...

• notoriousE-R-I-C

TT Platinum Member

1,702 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2016 - 03:57 AM

Ive reinstalled and MIG welded stock suzuki gears before, no problems but I also ordered new hotcams when my gear spun as it was a new issue to me then. While waiting for their arrival, I use an Oreilly auto parts pulley puller, took gear off, matched lobe hole to sprocket hole, pressed gear back on, then mig zapped the size of a skittle. Both cams, both sets. Years ago, many years, many hours with no issues.
Must be a fast zap as to not overheat and warp the cam. But the weld is seriously no bigger than a skittle. No smaller than a tic tac. This hurts nothing. There are camshafts with fixed, bolted on, cam sprockets. If motor is timed correctly, the motor will work as its supposed to. This is a product of heat. Over and over again you heat the motor up. Heat expands metal, metal has "memory", If it was stretched out, itd remember it did that. Even if it cooled off and shrank, it still was overheated and stretched and knows it. Thousandths of millimeters are a big deal to press fits.
The guy on the kxf forum repressed and did not weld sprocket. He has his thought process on it. I have mine.
My opinion visually is its your intake side. This is the side with the tensioners pressure.
I dont know whats more work to you, pressing gears and welding or not, or buying new cams. Nows a chance to gain power with an aftermarket cam. Your choice. Of course a new cam chains a good idea too. Its a ten year old mx bike. They get hot and those cams are up top not at bottom bathing in oil...take plug out and rotate motor by crank by hand, hear if valves are hitting. Might never had. You could take head off and look. But I wouldnt reuse the gasket. And definitely use torque specs in reassembly. Or you could do a compression test to see if the pistons solid or a leak down test to see if a valve bent. My bet is your good. Itd would have stopped working. There are cameras small enough to fit in the spark plug hole. Another oreillys tool rental.
Youre not in bad shape. This happens to the best of us!

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,245 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2016 - 05:43 AM

There are no issues having a cam gear properly pressed on and welded. The issue is getting the gear indexed to the proper position on the cam. It's usually done by a jig by someone like MMAD in El Cajon Ca.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.