- - - - -

My opinion of my 2009 yz450.

• Please sign in to reply

10 replies to this topic
  • Gclaxton

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 05:34 AM

So I've owned my 09 yz450 for about 2 years now. So far it has been dead reliable. I have a full fmf exhaust and jetting to match and the bike makes some smooth easy to use power. Does anyone else own this model and have a problem with turning? Cornering? I don't know if it's the way the bars are on this bike (seem very low) or what but for the two years that I've owned it I have never gotten used to the way this bike handles. Ive owned a few 250 2t's and it seems on those bike you can lay them into a rut and let her eat. Anyone else have an opinion on this or is it just me?

• tmeyer37

TT Member

70 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 09, 2016 - 09:46 AM

So I've owned my 09 yz450 for about 2 years now. So far it has been dead reliable. I have a full fmf exhaust and jetting to match and the bike makes some smooth easy to use power. Does anyone else own this model and have a problem with turning? Cornering? I don't know if it's the way the bars are on this bike (seem very low) or what but for the two years that I've owned it I have never gotten used to the way this bike handles. Ive owned a few 250 2t's and it seems on those bike you can lay them into a rut and let her eat. Anyone else have an opinion on this or is it just me?

I have an 06 and absolutely love the way it handled. I did need to go for taller bars though. I went with the Pro Taper EVO woods high. What about the cornering do you not like? Where is the rear sag set?

• Gclaxton

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 11:30 AM

I have not set my sag only got suspension valved for my weight. It just seems like it doesn't like to be leaned lol. It just likes to go in straight lines

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 09, 2016 - 01:35 PM

I have not set my sag only got suspension valved for my weight. It just seems like it doesn't like to be leaned lol. It just likes to go in straight lines

How can you say it handles bad if you have not set you sag?

That is the very first thing you do...... :facepalm:

• mikedabike, jamiehughes and Dklassen like this
  • Like This

• Gclaxton

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Maybe that's my problem then lmao! I have never set sag on any bike I've owned just suspension. Looked up a couple videos on setting sag so I'll have to do that this week! Thanks lol

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 10, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Maybe that's my problem then lmao! I have never set sag on any bike I've owned just suspension. Looked up a couple videos on setting sag so I'll have to do that this week! Thanks lol

Sag is handling and steering

Suspension is traction and control

• jamiehughes

TT Bronze Member

244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:34 PM

it's actually really easy to do..takes about as much time as taking your front forks off to get them valved. pretty standard stuff.

• Yamahajoe292

TT Bronze Member

264 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2016 - 07:12 AM

I have a 08 450 and set my sag at 95mm, got the forks up in the clamps 5mm, and it handles any corner I come up on, it especially loves flat corners.

• Gclaxton

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 07:16 AM

I will have to try setting my sag. Like I said I've never done it on any other bike I've had but I've watched a lot of videos and looks very simple. But yea as of now if I try to corner in a rut it just doesn't want to lay down lol I like everything else about it thoigh

• Ride_Flip_Repeat

TT Bronze Member

468 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:41 AM

I had a mint 2009 for about 2 weeks that I got for a stupid deal and ended up flipping it. I loved how smooth that puppy was and how it handled. Had the right amount of bite where I didn't feel I was gonna get thrown off and could wheelie that boss like no bodies business. 

Edited by Ride_Flip_Repeat, October 21, 2016 - 10:41 AM.

• Gclaxton

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:46 AM

It is smooth for sure. I went up a tooth on the rear sprocket and it is perfect. I read that for the year compared to other 450's it made less hp but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing at all. It has very manageable power in woods or track.hard to find anything negative about it. Just need to set my sag I guess like everybody is recommending lol.

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.