- - - - -

2013 yz450f on off throttle jolt

• Please sign in to reply

15 replies to this topic
  • olgus69

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Hi guys i have been playing with my yz for a while trying to sort out the on off throttle jolting (not sure the proper term used). I am running 14 50 gearing i have added a 9 ounce flywheel and a G2 throttle using the 200 cam. I can't remember the map I'm running pretty sure it was the more sedate tune. Im just playing around with some cross training and enduro. My mate has the 13 wr450 which i took for a spin and noticed the throttle comes on from nothing to very smooth transition apposed to mine from nothing to instant power. Is there something i have over looked or is that just as close I'm going to get to the smooth rollin like the wr. I am not in the position to buy a wr and i like the feel of the yz. This is the only problem i have.Thanks for any advice.

• olgus69

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:33 PM

Would it be as easy as replacing throttle body with a wr450f throttle body?

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 09, 2016 - 05:17 AM

Just change the map.

Tons of info on this if you search.

You might also need to recalibrate the CO level at idle, as the first range of FI bikes this was not done very well at the factory it seems. Easy to do.

• olgus69

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 12:31 AM

I have played with maps with no joy. How do you adjut co level and what does it do.

Edited by olgus69, October 10, 2016 - 12:31 AM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 10, 2016 - 05:01 PM

So, you have gone to -6 on the IGN, and +6 on the fuel for idle and partial throttle at all rpms?

You might need a longer throw throttle, like what is on the FX and WR.

That is what I usually do to track bikes to make  them smoother.

G2 Throttle Tamer

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 09:11 AM

I've had really good results using the g2 200 cam throttle tamer, and the "smooth" map. but I also run a gytr head and full fmf 4.1 system. but by using the right map it makes a huge difference for me personally

• Zackdocks

TT Member

74 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Its the throttle body, look into sending it to injectioneering for modification.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Its the throttle body, look into sending it to injectioneering for modification.

That is the most complete and direct fix for it.  The benefit is that it stays fixed regardless of the mapping used.

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,585 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 02:26 PM

That is the most complete and direct fix for it. The benefit is that it stays fixed regardless of the mapping used.

hey gray, I had been seeing this talk about the injectioneering mod for the throttle body ever since I came back back to thumpertalk a few months back. I was wondering if you or anyone else here has had this done and what the turn around time was for you? I know it can vary but I searched there site and on here for an answer and couldn't find one unless I missed it? thanks and sorry I'm not trying to thread jack.

• olgus69

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 03:56 PM

Ok so injectioneering? Is there any where here in oz that does this? Also how come when i rode my mates same vintage WR it was perfect. Are the 2 throttle bodies different ? Are the swappable?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:03 PM

Ok so injectioneering? Is there any where here in oz that does this? Also how come when i rode my mates same vintage WR it was perfect. Are the 2 throttle bodies different ? Are the swappable?

Same throttle bodies the WR one has a throttle stop screw. Put less timing and add more fuel especially the first left lower numbers in your tuner.

• olgus69

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Ive just done +7 FI and -7IG and still has that off on feel from idle also have the G2 tamer with 400 cam which smooths the power band out but not that initial response. 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 14, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hum I am running the Hinson momentum clutch basket that might help some.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 16, 2016 - 04:38 PM

hey gray, I had been seeing this talk about the injectioneering mod for the throttle body ever since I came back back to thumpertalk a few months back. I was wondering if you or anyone else here has had this done and what the turn around time was for you? I know it can vary but I searched there site and on here for an answer and couldn't find one unless I missed it? thanks and sorry I'm not trying to thread jack.

Turnaround time has been what has hurt the company, according to what you find here.  I still have the carb.

My understanding is that the closed angle of the throttle valve is changed, and that it's more complicated than simply re-cutting the valve. 

• Ride_Flip_Repeat

TT Bronze Member

468 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 20, 2016 - 10:18 AM

Turnaround time has been what has hurt the company, according to what you find here.  I still have the carb.

My understanding is that the closed angle of the throttle valve is changed, and that it's more complicated than simply re-cutting the valve. 

Sorry complete noob here when it comes to the 450f and mapping. I am researching in addition to posting. I have a friend with a 2012 and now I have a 2013. He has the GYTR system and he has been messing with his mapping as well. He has mentioned this tamer because he is experience the jump problem. Does anyone have the link to get to the service part of G2? I would be interested in this.

Also I am running all stock including mapping besides fmf 4.1 titanium pipe and the titanium mega bomb. Riding at 0-1000ft, 45f and lower and trails hard pack, rocks/roots. Could you please recommend a mapping setting or point me in the direction? Thanks.

Alright, figured out how to navigate the site. Now for the type of riding I do. Which cam size would be best? I cruise through the woods but would still like control and like the throttle to be smooth.

Edited by Ride_Flip_Repeat, October 20, 2016 - 10:27 AM.

• WouldsAssassin

TT Bronze Member

450 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Ive just done +7 FI and -7IG and still has that off on feel from idle also have the G2 tamer with 400 cam which smooths the power band out but not that initial response.

I would recommend going the opposite direction with fuel and ignition. Try the slippery conditions map. It helped me. Also raise the idle slightly higher than recommended that way the throttle is a little more open than would be at the normal engine idle speed. That made a huge difference.

I priced a 16 WR throttle body and may try swapping it if I get the disposable income.

The CO settings can only be done with the Yamaha Fuel injection diagnostics tool.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.