- - - - -

Torn Rotator Cuff Surgery

45 replies to this topic
  • TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 06, 2016 - 09:01 PM

Did a couple of endoes this summer, caught myself with my left arm on both of them. Hurt like a mfer but I just ignored it because I wanted to keep riding.

Finally got around to getting it looked at. One full, a couple of partials and a slap. I really want to ride the Desert 100 in April so I decided to get it done now.

I'll be riding a recliner for at least the next 6 weeks. Here are some pics!

The obligatory X-ray, which shows nothing:

IMG_7566.JPG

The ultrasound, which shows a definite tear, but not clear how bad. A followup MRI showed the extent of the damage.

IMG_7568.JPG

The view from the inside - the first one shows a healthy tendon for comparison, the others show some of the damaged bits.

IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG

• orangepetrolcrush

TT Member

32 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 02:33 AM

Proper range of motion exercises will greatly help you in healing. Ofcourse, it's the best prophylaxis supposedly but still as for now it's going to help you big time.

• Monk, TwentyFive20 and Crf230fRider101 like this
  • Like This

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Proper range of motion exercises will greatly help you in healing. Ofcourse, it's the best prophylaxis supposedly but still as for now it's going to help you big time.

Thanks for the encouragement! I had my first followup with the surgeon today. He was very happy with the results and reiterated that I can't do PT beyond the arm dangling exercises and finger crawling on a table for at least 5 more weeks.

I'm down to only about 4 oxy a day and according to Fitbit (which allows for waking up) I nearly got 4 hours of sleep last night, which is major progress.

IMG_7872.PNG

• Monk
24,132 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Do you have to get surgery?

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Do you have to get surgery?

Yep - one week ago. It was a full tear so the only way to get the shoulder to work like it did before was surgery. PT can do a lot but it can't re-attach a severed tendon.

• orangepetrolcrush

TT Member

32 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I had my first followup with the surgeon today. He was very happy with the results and reiterated that I can't do PT beyond the arm dangling exercises and finger crawling on a table for at least 5 more weeks.

I'm down to only about 4 oxy a day and according to Fitbit (which allows for waking up) I nearly got 4 hours of sleep last night, which is major progress.

attachicon.gifIMG_7872.PNG

I hope you get a faster recovery buddy!

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 15, 2016 - 11:51 PM

I hope you get a faster recovery buddy!

Yeah me too, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 04:47 AM

Yeah me too, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

how are you progressing? I may be in the same boat.

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom, November 10, 2016 - 04:48 AM.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 14, 2016 - 10:39 PM

how are you progressing? I may be in the same boat.

I see the surgeon this week for a green light to move up to PT. Still in the sling now, and still sleeping in a recliner. Slow but steady I guess.

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 05:19 AM

hopefully you come out of the sling soon!  keep us updated on your progress!

I've got a "massive" tear of the supraspinatus that I've verified with 3 different orthos...they all say I need to have it fixed soon.  Latest guy says becuase of the size there is a 75% chance of a successful repair compared to about 90% in a guy with a small tear.

it's a hard choice to make since I've been going to PT and it actually feels like it's getting better.  I have almost no pain...strenght is still a little down but it hasn't been used for much in the last 6 weeks and it's getting better.

I know these tears don't heal and the other muscles are starting to compensate...... so in the interest of saving the should from replacement down the road I guess I'll need to get it done soon.

It's just so hard to throw myself into this with it feeling so good right now.

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom, November 15, 2016 - 05:42 AM.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 23, 2016 - 03:51 PM

hopefully you come out of the sling soon!  keep us updated on your progress!

I've got a "massive" tear of the supraspinatus that I've verified with 3 different orthos...they all say I need to have it fixed soon.  Latest guy says becuase of the size there is a 75% chance of a successful repair compared to about 90% in a guy with a small tear.

it's a hard choice to make since I've been going to PT and it actually feels like it's getting better.  I have almost no pain...strenght is still a little down but it hasn't been used for much in the last 6 weeks and it's getting better.

I know these tears don't heal and the other muscles are starting to compensate...... so in the interest of saving the should from replacement down the road I guess I'll need to get it done soon.

It's just so hard to throw myself into this with it feeling so good right now.

It's massive but still a partial? So there's still an attachment?

If it's still attached and you aren't hurting bad I can see going the PT route. If it's actually severed, well, it's never re-attaching without surgery. But even then if you don't hurt and you can do the stuff you want to do I can see going PT.

For me, I figure I have a limited number of seasons left. I had a full tear and a lot of pain. 6 months of PT could have gotten me back on my bike and climbing this coming Spring, but if it didn't help I'd wind up missing some or all of the 2017 season due to surgery. So I went surgery now.

Just started PT. BOY HOWDY AM I SORE TODAY.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8312.JPG

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 05:56 PM

It's massive but still a partial? So there's still an attachment?

If it's still attached and you aren't hurting bad I can see going the PT route. If it's actually severed, well, it's never re-attaching without surgery. But even then if you don't hurt and you can do the stuff you want to do I can see going PT.

For me, I figure I have a limited number of seasons left. I had a full tear and a lot of pain. 6 months of PT could have gotten me back on my bike and climbing this coming Spring, but if it didn't help I'd wind up missing some or all of the 2017 season due to surgery. So I went surgery now.

Just started PT. BOY HOWDY AM I SORE TODAY.

It must still be attached somewhat or I wouldn't be able to lift my arm up much past 45 degrees.  I've been in PT for 2 months and it has gotten better but I seem to have hit a wall.

my fear is if I do nothing now, I'll miss my window of opportunity to fix it and have less options down the road...so I guess I have to at least try and fix it, even if they can only get part of it attached it's got to be better than what I've got now.

I think the MRI is just a diagnostic tool, nobody will really know how bad it is until they are in there with the scope.

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom, November 24, 2016 - 05:57 PM.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

118 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 24, 2016 - 09:08 PM

I think the MRI is just a diagnostic tool, nobody will really know how bad it is until they are in there with the scope.

Yeah, that's why they make the big bucks!

So go for it - gitterdun! Times awaistin!

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 04:02 AM

The thing that troubles me is that if I never had the MRI done, I wouldn't think twice about following PT and not worrying about it...

it's not like I'm in terrible pain or can't sleep...only certain motions do I notice weakness, such as holding a coat out straight to hang in a closet. and the only time I have any pain is when I lift my arm intentionally straight out over my head and even then it's weird because I feel it in my Deltoid area more than anything else.

I've seen 3 very well respected surgeons and they all agree that I have minimal atrophy and no signs of arthritis but it should be addressed to at least try and preserve the shoulder.

Surgery currently scheduled for the 20th of December...should be a great Christmas!

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom, November 25, 2016 - 04:15 AM.

• cjjeepercreeper

Get Help Now

7,133 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 10:36 AM

The thing that troubles me is that if I never had the MRI done, I wouldn't think twice about following PT and not worrying about it...

it's not like I'm in terrible pain or can't sleep...only certain motions do I notice weakness, such as holding a coat out straight to hang in a closet. and the only time I have any pain is when I lift my arm intentionally straight out over my head and even then it's weird because I feel it in my Deltoid area more than anything else.

I've seen 3 very well respected surgeons and they all agree that I have minimal atrophy and no signs of arthritis but it should be addressed to at least try and preserve the shoulder.

Surgery currently scheduled for the 20th of December...should be a great Christmas!

Do you have a really comfortable recliner?  If you don't, then buy one before the surgery, its the only way you will be able to sleep post surgery for several weeks.

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Do you have a really comfortable recliner?  If you don't, then buy one before the surgery, its the only way you will be able to sleep post surgery for several weeks.

Thanks I ordered one last week...with wired remote to operate it with my left hand, power headrest and lumbar.  I really hate losing sleep and that's the recurring complaint about shoulder surgery...very hard to sleep.  Hopefully I'll be able to deal with sleeping sitting up in the recliner.

also ordered one of those neck pillows that people use for sleeping on planes, don't know if it will help but figured I have it on hand...

http://www.mybobs.co...-power-recliner

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom, December 02, 2016 - 10:59 AM.

• slowstepper

TT Silver Member

899 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Had mine done yesterday,  lucky for me all through a scope!  had the trifecta,  partial rotator cuff,  partial tear labrum,  and accromial impingement.  off the pain pills today,  already in less pain than I have been in for several years!

My real issue is long term,  no cartilage left.  Doc and I are hoping this buys me 5 years,  hoping by then we will be doing stem cell driven cartilage replacement.  If not,  then its replacement for both right knee (scoped a month ago)  and left shoulder done yesterday

Edited by slowstepper, December 02, 2016 - 11:00 AM.

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Had mine done yesterday,  lucky for me all through a scope!  had the trifecta,  partial rotator cuff,  partial tear labrum,  and accromial impingement.  off the pain pills today,  already in less pain than I have been in for several years!

My real issue is long term,  no cartilage left.  Doc and I are hoping this buys me 5 years,  hoping by then we will be doing stem cell driven cartilage replacement.  If not,  then its replacement for both right knee (scoped a month ago)  and left shoulder done yesterday

Good Deal!  hopefully we can all put off any kind of replacements!  how many weeks in the sling?

• slowstepper

TT Silver Member

899 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 11:28 AM

Good Deal!  hopefully we can all put off any kind of replacements!  how many weeks in the sling?

Believe it or not,  48 hours,  after that its as needed!

• WoodsRacerDotCom

TT Bronze Member

345 posts

Posted December 02, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Believe it or not,  48 hours,  after that its as needed!

wow, must have been a minor cuff repair!  good for you!

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.