03 yz450f clutch and hot start issues

No replies to this topic
  • HugeNuts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 01:19 AM

I'm 43 and last year I bought my first bike. I've ridden bikes before but never owned one. Well my problem started after my first crash on my third ride. It wasn't too bad of a crash, I basically hit some unexpected soft sand and laid it down. I forgot to mention that the bike I bought was basically brand new except it was 12 years old and is completely stock. When I crashed the clutch adjuster on the perch broke. I managed to get back to camp ok and when I got home I ordered a new aftermarket clutch perch and lever with the hot start. At the time money was tight so I purchased a cheap one. After installing the aftermarket clutch perch and lever w/ the hot start I noticed that my cables seem to be to long now. They are routed the same way as before but now when I turn the bars the number plate pops out of the holes leaving my number plate all crooked. When I try to secure the number plate the clutch cable becomes difficult to adjust for free play. I'm worried I might be engaging the clutch slightly causing premature clutch failure. If I back the cable off allowing for more free play so that the clutch doesn't engage while turning the bars the free play is way too much when the bars are straight. My question is is there a manufacture that makes shorter cables? This would solve the binding behind the number plate. I'll be buying some quality levers very soon and new cables but I want to get the right set up.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.