450 FX Fork Seals

• Please sign in to reply

12 replies to this topic
  • blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:11 PM

I've got the leaky fork syndrome and I'm trying to debate what to do.  I've heard they made some improvements to the fork for 2017 so I compared the part fiches and it looks like they changed two things.  1) a revised oil seal, and 2) they added what they call a scraper between the oil seal and the dust seal.

Should I get these items and do a rebuild or transition to something aftermarket like the SKF's?  I don't understand what makes these so different from the 450F forks from a seal perspective?

• Monk
23,679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:29 PM

SKF

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:30 AM

OEM blows.

Mine went out in hour 2

SKF or nothing

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:53 AM

SKF it is. Looking at Rocky mountain they don't have a set for our bike but they do have some for the 250FX. I'm guessing they are the same?

• tmav66

TT Member

48 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:58 AM

I was wondering the same ^ I'm gonna order a set to have on hand do I just get seals or seals with bushing kit too ones 33 dollars and with bushing kit it's 97$?

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:38 AM

I was wondering the same ^ I'm gonna order a set to have on hand do I just get seals or seals with bushing kit too ones 33 dollars and with bushing kit it's 97$?

That was going to be my same question.  Looks like RockyMountain has both the dust and oil seals for $66.  Or do I just go with the oil seal for $33?

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 04, 2016 - 11:51 AM

I don't know... I've been running the same set of OEM KYB seals for so long now that I forgot when I installed them. 

The thing that most commonly kills fork seals is when you let mud dry on the lower tubes and ride it that way.  Even water spots can degrade them if they're gritty enough.  Keep them cleaned up between rides and they'll last much longer. 

• yzdaddy and MountAiryTrailRiders like this
  • Like This

• yz454

TT Bronze Member

173 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 05:52 PM

SKF

• YZEtc

TT Addict

3,579 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 02:38 AM

I don't know... I've been running the same set of OEM KYB seals for so long now that I forgot when I installed them. 

The thing that most commonly kills fork seals is when you let mud dry on the lower tubes and ride it that way.  Even water spots can degrade them if they're gritty enough.  Keep them cleaned up between rides and they'll last much longer. 

This has been my experience, too.

After every ride and/or after washing the bike, wipe off the lower fork tubes and leave them spotlessly clean.

I use a paper towel with a bit of Bel-Ray 6-in-1 on it.

No trouble.

• blbills

TT Bronze Member

108 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 06, 2016 - 06:24 AM

I've been pretty meticulous about cleaning my first-ever off the show room floor bike so I'm pretty sure that my fork seal failure is not related to that.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 06, 2016 - 06:49 AM

This has been my experience, too.

After every ride and/or after washing the bike, wipe off the lower fork tubes and leave them spotlessly clean.
I use a paper towel with a bit of Bel-Ray 6-in-1 on it.
No trouble.

I have 75hrs on my bike and so far so good. I do use motion pro fork bleeders and make sure there is no pressure transporting etc. Seems like a mixed results on this.

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 06, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Improper suspension setup / transporting / storage can also lead to pre-mature seal failure. Something to think about.

I swear I read somewhere in the manual it states to grease up the lower fork tubes... maybe I had too many beers, but I have tried to find that info again with no luck. Anyone else heard of this? Team I raced for many years ago (12) used to spray something on them before our races.... but sadly, I never thought to ask what it was.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 07, 2016 - 07:32 AM

One of the tricks is to apply a little grease between the dust seal and the oil seal as a dirt interceptor for the stuff that gets past the dust seal.  Then you can periodically pull down the dust seals, clean out the old grease, run a business card around under the oil seal and re-grease.  This helps but it's not very effective against water or mud spots.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.