- - - - -

WR426 Carb Overflowing

• Please sign in to reply

4 replies to this topic
  • 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:15 AM

I'm having issues with my carb Overflowing fuel out of multiple hoses, I was working on it Friday night and it hadn't been started in 9 months or so so I just figured it had some varnished fuel or something, so I disassembled the carb cleaned everything checked the float height everything looked good, put it back together and it did the same thing again. So I pulled it back off and I've been bench testing it, with a bottle of fuel connected to the fuel line, sometimes it will over flow and sometimes it won't, I have yet to find any dirt or anything like that that could be causing the float needle to stick. I'm baffled by it, I'm hoping some of you smarter folks can help. Thanks in advance

• Krannie McKranface
36,195 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Your float needle/float seat is worn out, or it is working inside a corroded cavity, making it stick

Replace / de-corrode by polishing

• 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 01:46 PM

That makes a ton of sense, I checked the needle I didn't really think about the seat, I know it's definitely got a dark brown patina on it and I think I tried to get it out last year and gave up on it. I did a massive overhaul of this carb last year, and I'm pretty sure you're the one who talked me through that as well. The thing had throttle response like fuel injection when it was running

• Krannie McKranface
36,195 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 03, 2016 - 03:03 PM

That makes a ton of sense, I checked the needle I didn't really think about the seat, I know it's definitely got a dark brown patina on it and I think I tried to get it out last year and gave up on it. I did a massive overhaul of this carb last year, and I'm pretty sure you're the one who talked me through that as well. The thing had throttle response like fuel injection when it was running

...then do yourself a favor and always put gas treatment in your tank, and tilt the bike on the ground, both sides, before putting it away for more than a few weeks.

• 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:16 AM

I polished the seat up, as well as the needle just for good measure and bench tested it, I could not replicate the overflow I was getting before, I turned the carb upside down and then right side up to see if it would get hung up but it never did. I also remembered why I didn't replace the seat last time, the screw holding it in is rounded, and I didn't want to risk messing up the carb body trying to extract it. The polishing seems to have worked plenty good enough. Thanks for your insight, I would have never found that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.