solo seat for th XR650L

4 replies to this topic
  • ronmelton

Posted March 19, 2004 - 02:41 PM

Any info about ah solo seat for th XR650L? Thanks :)

• Dogfeathers

Posted March 20, 2004 - 05:36 AM

Ron,

I recently bought a Corbin set for my '98 XR650L and all I did was replace the upolstered 2 x 4 with a upolstered 4 x 4. It is wider, but even harder than stock and it weighs a ton too. It must weigh a whopping 10 pounds more than the stock seat. My butt gets just as sore just as fast as the stock seat. It also is only so so when you have to stand up when the going gets rough as it will rub the inside of your legs quite a bit. I also slide forward on it all the time when sitting and have to continually push myself back on the seat. This also results in pushing my pants up my crotch and I have to continually "re adjust" to remain comfortable. Now I need to go spend another $100 plus to get it re-shaped to fit my cheeks and to put another layer of softer foam on it too. Very clever design there Mike Corbin!
If I had to do it over I would take my stock seat to a local upolsterer(sp?) and have him rework it. No matter how it came out, it would be better than this piece of crap.

I will admit though that about ten years ago I went to the Corbin factory with my BMW GS and had a seat made on the spot to fit my butt and it came out great. Ordering one through the catalog did not work at all.

Larry
SF Bay Area

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rover31

Posted March 20, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Maybe that's why you see them on e-bay all the time. They still go for just under retail!
Travis

<><

• slip

Posted March 20, 2004 - 03:37 PM

Ron,

I recently bought a Corbin set for my '98 XR650L and all I did was replace the upolstered 2 x 4 with a upolstered 4 x 4. It is wider, but even harder than stock and it weighs a ton too. It must weigh a whopping 10 pounds more than the stock seat. My butt gets just as sore just as fast as the stock seat. It also is only so so when you have to stand up when the going gets rough as it will rub the inside of your legs quite a bit. I also slide forward on it all the time when sitting and have to continually push myself back on the seat. This also results in pushing my pants up my crotch and I have to continually "re adjust" to remain comfortable. Now I need to go spend another $100 plus to get it re-shaped to fit my cheeks and to put another layer of softer foam on it too. Very clever design there Mike Corbin!
If I had to do it over I would take my stock seat to a local upolsterer(sp?) and have him rework it. No matter how it came out, it would be better than this piece of crap.

I will admit though that about ten years ago I went to the Corbin factory with my BMW GS and had a seat made on the spot to fit my butt and it came out great. Ordering one through the catalog did not work at all.

Larry
SF Bay Area

Thanks for that bit of info. :D I'm actually getting used to the stock seat after 3400 miles of saddle time. :) I think I am going to have to try some riding shorts out, I hear good things about them, this way I won't have one of these. :D

• ronmelton

Posted March 20, 2004 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for th reply. I don't have ah XR 650L yet but am plannin on gittin one for ah second bike & tryin ta git my ducks lined up on makin it ah decent commuter & long haul bike with some off road capability. My other bike is ah 1800 Wing for th really long hauls. ron, TN

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.