odd problem

15 replies to this topic
  • MonK_E

Posted March 19, 2004 - 01:51 PM

some times my 99 WR400 will take about 15 kicks to start it and then it will not pick up any revs, like a total bog it just will not come of idle. also the header starts to heat up and glow in a matter of seconds. other times it will start first or second kick and run great.

i have a JD kit and im using the blue needle on the 3rd position, 170 main jet and a standard pilot jet.

i also just put on a CRD pipe, the engine has just been rebuilt and i have checked the cam timing and it is spot on.

it seems like something to do with the ignition but i don't really have a clue, it could be any thing.

i have gone through the bike and checked every thing i could think of and come up with nothing. i hope you guys can help

thanks Simon

• dominator426

Posted March 19, 2004 - 03:13 PM

Have you cleaned your carburator and checked your float level?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 19, 2004 - 04:39 PM

It may be the igntion CDI box. If it runs well sometimes and not others the CDI unit maybe failing. :)

• MonK_E

Posted March 19, 2004 - 08:51 PM

yeah i have striped the carb cleaned it and checked it out every think seems ok

i hope it is not the CDI because they cost so much. does any one know if or how you can check the CDI.

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 20, 2004 - 03:18 AM

exhaust valves hanging up?

I don't think you can check the CDI. THe best thing is to swap CDI's w/ someone (even put yours on their bike as well).

I JUST SOLD my OEM CDI for $50.00( :)?)

• MonK_E

Posted March 20, 2004 - 04:16 AM

it doesn't seem like the exhaust valves because it only happens some times not all the time.

i also don't think it is the CDI any more because i think if there is a problem with it, it wouldn't run at all.

so im back to square one and im clue less :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 20, 2004 - 04:35 AM

it doesn't seem like the exhaust valves because it only happens some times not all the time.

>> it may not be ALL the time.

• MonK_E

Posted March 20, 2004 - 04:42 AM

ok ill check it out and post my findings tommorow

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted March 20, 2004 - 04:53 AM

Just a thought here, but everytime I park the bike for any lenght of time I always push the kickstart lever till the bike is at TDC so all of the valves are in the closed and relaxed position. If the engine sits with the valves open during the week it could hang a valve open , especially if the bike is getting older. My .02 -- WR Dave.

• MonK_E

Posted March 20, 2004 - 10:08 AM

my old man says that it can't be the valves sticking because the engine would still pickup some revs if they are hanging. we think i could be the ignition pickup has gone wrong somehow and made it to retarded. but i don't think there is any adjustment on the pickup so im not sure what to do. i don't know how to check it and i don't have a flywheel puller/remover. :)

any help will be greatly appreciated because im going insane trying to figure this out.

thanks. :D

• captain_S

Posted March 20, 2004 - 11:40 AM

I would take a look at the insulation on the wiring of the bike,being an older machine it is quite possible that you are getting a short in the ignition circut wiring from wires rubbing against the frame work and exposing a wire some where(or a break in the wiring due to repeated bending turning or pulling forces on the wiring)incluiding the kill switch wires,try a multi meter on the circuts whilst turning the bars and twisting the connectors and wires to see if you get any change,i know of a two stroke that did a similar thing recently due to a wire lightly grounding against the frame!

• Hamish

Posted March 20, 2004 - 12:17 PM

I'd run the bike for about 10 min on a batch of 2 stroke at about 50:1 (I use an old fork oil bottle, the tip fits nicely in the fuel hose on tyhe carby). If you have a sticky valve, this should cure it. If you have access to a leak down tester, I'd use it to see if it's compression related. I'd also check the resistances of the stator. Had a similar problem with the 250 2 smoke, turned out to be a crook stator.

Hamish

• MonK_E

Posted March 21, 2004 - 03:06 AM

i have checked out the ignition coil and stator, there was nothing wrong with them so this morning i took the bike to the shop and they said it was the woodruff key and it had broken so the flywheel has slipped and is causing the problem. hopefully ill get the bike back on Tuesday or Wednesday.

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 21, 2004 - 04:04 AM

WOW............??? :)

• captain_S

Posted March 21, 2004 - 11:14 AM

Never knew the 400`s performed that trick! :)

• MonK_E

Posted March 21, 2004 - 11:26 AM

i think the problem was caused by faulty workmanship, or something like that. i think they did not torque it up properly when they rebuilt the engine that's why they are doing the repair for free :D or im there best customer because they don't get much business and i just bought 2 bikes and about 2000 Euros worth of parts from them. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.