Front brake won't build pressure after crash

5 replies to this topic
  • ayz250

Posted October 01, 2016 - 03:56 AM

I slid out in a corner and the front brake lever must have caught the ground. Now the front brake won't work or build any pressure. My question is did it get air in it and needs to be bled or did I ruin the master cylinder? Any advice would be great thanks.

The bike is a 2012 yz450.

• CR250_182

Posted October 01, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Check the line for any little holes, also check the seal where the lever is.

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Usually it's the master cylinder.

The rubber seal on the piston gets "peeled backwards" and it won't hold pressure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted October 02, 2016 - 03:50 AM

Check your front brake rotor to see if it's bent. If the caliper piston got pushed in it can feel like it's not building pressure.

• ayz250

Posted October 02, 2016 - 01:34 PM

I figured out what happened. I must have hit the bolt holding the line coming into the master cylinder. It was just loose enough to not hold pressure. Tightened it up now I just gotta get the air out of the line.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 03, 2016 - 03:51 PM

I figured out what happened. I must have hit the bolt holding the line coming into the master cylinder. It was just loose enough to not hold pressure. Tightened it up now I just gotta get the air out of the line.

I recently had a similar experience, tipped over in some rocks and when I picked my bike back up realized the front brake lever went straight to the bars.  The banjo fitting at the caliper had been knocked loose, I got lucky and was able to just tighten the bolt back down and the brakes worked fine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.