Has anyone here owned a KTM then gone to WR?

7 replies to this topic
  • J-KTM

Posted March 19, 2004 - 12:53 PM

I realize this may have been asked a number of times but I have been thinking of selling my 2001 KTM EXC and getting a 2004 WR 450 and just wanted some opinons. I know we all have our brand loyalty but I wanted to get some serious opinions. What are the similarities and differences?

• dirtstiff

Posted March 19, 2004 - 01:02 PM

Look backward 2-3 pages, a comparison was done last week. Both great bikes. :)

• J-KTM

Posted March 19, 2004 - 01:06 PM

Sorry I was looking for anyone who went from KTM to WR not just a comparision.

• Rocky_Mountain_Racer

Posted March 19, 2004 - 06:52 PM

I switched from a 03450 exc to 04 WR450.I moded it all up to get it to feel lighter. Still feels quit a bit heavier than the ktm in the tight stuff. Motor is a lot stonger than the ktm. Suspension is pretty nice.I like the narrowness of the new ktms, so much so ,I bought a 04 450 exc. I have a mint 04 wr 450 for sale.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted March 21, 2004 - 01:09 PM

Out of curiosity, did you consider a 525 EXC instead of a 450 EXC (because of the "stronger motor" of the WR450 over the 450 EXC)??

• Strick

Posted March 21, 2004 - 03:26 PM

I went from an '02 453SX (formerly a 400) to a WR426. Ask away.

I will say I am MUCH faster on the WR, only because of the superior suspension. The Motor is my KTM is absoluetly incredible, but the suspension is not for me. The WR is heavier than my SX, and my WR is YZ everything except gearbox and kick stand. However with the exc, I'll bet they are close in weight.

• J-KTM

Posted March 22, 2004 - 04:31 AM

Are you faster in the woods or on the track or both?
Did you notice a difference in parts availability or prices??

• Strick

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:04 AM

Both, especially later in the ride or race. Prices and availabilty are similar. I have actually had a harder time recently getting a Yamaha OEM part, than I ever had with my KTM's

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.